Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A-Rod Suspended 162 Games

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Alex Rodriguez Suspension Now 162 Games
By Charlie Wilmoth [January 11, 2014 at 10:45am CST]
The result of Alex Rodriguez's appeal is in, and he will be suspended for 162 games, Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
GREAT news!

And Nightengale is rock solid, so I hope it holds up...

Alex Rodriguez Suspension Now 162 Games
By Charlie Wilmoth [January 11 at 10:45am CST]
The result of Alex Rodriguez's appeal is in, and he will be suspended for 162 games, Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets. Rodriguez plans to appeal the suspension in federal court. The suspension will cover the full 2014 season, and also the postseason, Yahoo! Sports' Tim Brown tweets. The suspension previously was 211 games.

A-Rod's suspension for the entire season means the Yankees will save about $24MM against the 2014 luxury tax threshold. Rodriguez's luxury-tax figure is $27.5MM, but Joel Sherman of the New York Post notes (via Twitter) that the Yankees will be assessed about $3.16MM of that, since 183 days, and not 162, counts as a year. The Yankees will also save $25MM in salary.

That savings could give the Yankees more flexibility to pursue Masahiro Tanaka or other free agents. Also, the Yankees may now look for another option at third base, even though they have Kelly Johnson -- a report earlier today indicated that they could consider Michael Young or Mark Reynolds, both of whom are free agents.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
a-rod calls decison an "injustice." says he will take it to a federal court (which will unseal horowitz's full explanation)

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
What happens when he appeals, and gets it dropped more? Would they then have to pay him? No way he doesn't take this to federal court. And i guess mlb would rather agree to 100 games then have all their mess in fed court. This is no where near over, not with arods ego and anger.

weight333

May 28, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
The only real difference between 1990's Bud Selig and 2014's Bud Selig is that today's Selig pays lip service to the steroid issue. The 1990's one did not. PED's make the game more exciting, and they bring in more revenue but only if the public at least can plausibly think the players are clean. Take that away and revenue goes down. But keeping revenue as high as possible is the commissioner's only real purpose. That is why these PED users are only ever exposed by the media, never by baseball themselves. Baseball has no interest in exposing any of the players. But once exposed, they have to be seen as acting tough on PED users. That's the only reason why a punishment was handed down today. Selig talks up all of baseball's anti-PED efforts, but at the end of the day their testing regimen failed and their investigative efforts only succeeded because the Miami Times, and not MLB, broke the story.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What happens when he appeals, and gets it dropped more? Would they then have to pay him? No way he doesn't take this to federal court. And i guess mlb would rather agree to 100 games then have all their mess in fed court. This is no where near over, not with arods ego and anger.
ESPN's Buster Olney just said a minute ago on Sportscenter that ESPN's legal analyst says the chances of Arod's case making it to Federal Court are "slim to none."

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
don't agree to the suspension..
Is it fair for the Yankees???
Why are they saying Yankees would lose him after a year? He is still under contract and if they do let him go, how does that effect the Yankees luxury tax if they trade him to another team and takes on most of his salary?

How about this as an alternate...
Let him play like but fine him $25 million...

At least for Arod, he would be able to play and "help the Yankees" and perform beyond this year..

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
a-rod calls decison an "injustice." says he will take it to a federal court (which will unseal horowitz's full explanation)

Did someone say injustice?!?!?!

shield.png

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I don't get why Alex Rodriguez is held to a much higher standard than every other baseball player.

Yeah yeah yeah, I get it, people hate him because he's a tool. Blah Blah Blah.

I hope he takes this to the Supreme Court and wins.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Don't remember much people complaining about peds from 1998-2000...

all I remember back then, dont take steroids because it will shorten your life,
Not don't take steroids because you will be a cheater.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
I don't get why Alex Rodriguez is held to a much higher standard than every other baseball player.

Yeah yeah yeah, I get it, people hate him because he's a tool. Blah Blah Blah.

I hope he takes this to the Supreme Court and wins.

I agree....he is a tool and people hate him. However, he does (somewhat) have a point. He hasn't failed any urine test to suspended for PED's.

Is he suspended this long for obstruction?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I agree....he is a tool and people hate him. However, he does (somewhat) have a point. He hasn't failed any urine test to suspended for PED's.

Is he suspended this long for obstruction?

Someone just asked me on FaceBook why I was defending him, here was my response.

"It's not about defending him. It's opposing a corrupt system. Why did they suspend him 200 games originally? Because he 'had dealings' with a Florida Medical Clinic. Not because he failed a drug test. So you're going to suspend him for PED's when he didn't fail a test? Just because he bought something from somebody? Well that doesn't seem quite right. You can't punish someone for nothing. He didn't break any rules to be suspended in the first place. Bud Selig and the New York Yankees have been out to get him for some time now. The Yankees want out of that contract, and Selig wants to put a stamp on his reign while exiting. Alex should push this to the moon, and he will win. In the end, the Yankees will pay him every penny he was owed, as they should have to."

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Someone just asked me on FaceBook why I was defending him, here was my response.

"It's not about defending him. It's opposing a corrupt system. Why did they suspend him 200 games originally? Because he 'had dealings' with a Florida Medical Clinic. Not because he failed a drug test. So you're going to suspend him for PED's when he didn't fail a test? Just because he bought something from somebody? Well that doesn't seem quite right. You can't punish someone for nothing. He didn't break any rules to be suspended in the first place. Bud Selig and the New York Yankees have been out to get him for some time now. The Yankees want out of that contract, and Selig wants to put a stamp on his reign while exiting. Alex should push this to the moon, and he will win. In the end, the Yankees will pay him every penny he was owed, as they should have to."

It would be like you getting arrested for auto theft and the only thing you did was buy the slim-jim.

Don't get me wrong, as a Yankees fan, I'm glad he's not playing this year but I question the penalty.

Members online