Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay not charging shipping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Has anyone ever run into this before?

I recently sold some items to two different buyers. One was two cards and the other was for six cards. My shipping rules are set up for $2.49 for the first card and 50-cents each additional.

I do not have it set up where if buyer spends X amount they get free shipping.

Both buyers paid for the items and on neither transaction did it charge for shipping. Anyone else ever have this happen before?

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Something must be set up wrong. Check out your auctions or call ebay or give me a link to look at. We could run a dummmmmy test. I will be the dummy. Then cancel the auction.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Just got off the phone with Ebay. I offer "local pickup" as an option on my listings. Ebay said that the buyers selected "local pickup" as their "shipping" option when they paid the invoice, thereby charging no shipping. However, neither buy is local to me and did not message me saying that they wanted to pick the items up locally. I've never run into this problem before.

I'm giving the buyers the benefit of the doubt here, but doesn't it seem like this is a good way to get around paying shipping if you happen to offer local pickup as an option? I would assume that some sellers would simply not look at the Paypal transaction close enough to see if shipping was actually paid, especially if similar to my situation, in which the buyer made offers and multiple low-dollar cards and I accepted (and no, they didn't include a note with their offers stipulating that the offer was contingent on free shipping).

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
They did it on purpose or by mistake. I'd guess purpose. I'd send and email, saying they didnt pay shipping and see how they respond. Say you have to be local for local pickup option. But be very professional.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
Send them a message and ask when they plan on flying in to pick up their .50 cards lol.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
It now happened on a third transaction. I have a hard time believing three different buyers would all select local shipping, as Ebay suggested, either by mistake or on purpose. I've checked every shipping setting I could think of on my end and everything seems to be correct. I'm going to call Ebay back and get them to dig a little deeper. Nevertheless, this is the message I sent to each buyer:

Thanks for the quick payment. For some reason, it appears you did not pay shipping for your cards. Did you happen to select Local Pickup when you paid the invoice and selected the shipping option? If so, I will be happy to allow you to pick them up locally. But if you need them shipped, I will have to send you a separate invoice for shipping, which is $2.49 for the first item and 50-cents each additional item, as stated in my auctions. Please let me know what you would like to do. Thanks!

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
It now happened on a third transaction. I have a hard time believing three different buyers would all select local shipping, as Ebay suggested, either by mistake or on purpose. I've checked every shipping setting I could think of on my end and everything seems to be correct. I'm going to call Ebay back and get them to dig a little deeper. Nevertheless, this is the message I sent to each buyer:

Thanks for the quick payment. For some reason, it appears you did not pay shipping for your cards. Did you happen to select Local Pickup when you paid the invoice and selected the shipping option? If so, I will be happy to allow you to pick them up locally. But if you need them shipped, I will have to send you a separate invoice for shipping, which is $2.49 for the first item and 50-cents each additional item, as stated in my auctions. Please let me know what you would like to do. Thanks!

I would say, maybe get rid of the local pick up option, before you start losing a lot of money and get some neg feedback.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Just got off the phone with Ebay again. They are now suspecting some sort of error where it is showing the buyer free shipping when they pay for their items, although I am not offering free shipping. Ebay was very helpful and is crediting my seller account with the shipping costs (deducting the equivalent amount from my seller fees).

So, just a heads up for everyone. Check your transactions when you get paid to make sure shipping was charged (if you charged for shipping).

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I bought an item that had $1.69 shipping. I paid for the auction and received the card. Left feedback and thought transaction was complete. Ebay then refunded the $1.69 shipping. No explanation. Works for me!

Latest posts