Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Players with name changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I saw I had a Leo Nunez auto/GU card, so I was considering turning it into a small PC of players who have changed their names. So far I could only come up with a few, anyone know of anyone else?

Leo Nunez - Juan Carlos Oviedo
Fausto Carmona - Roberto Hernandez
Mike Stanton - Giancarlo Stanton
Joey Belle - Albert Belle
David Arias - David Ortiz
Jairo Garcia - Santiago Casilla
Eny Cabreja - Wandy Rodriguez
Harry Rasmussen - Eric Rasmussen

Anyone else?

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I believe Ian Snell was called something else before. I have a sticker auto of his..it was something like Luis Oquendo if i remember correctly.

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I believe Ian Snell was called something else before. I have a sticker auto of his..it was something like Luis Oquendo if i remember correctly.

Ian Oquendo. Believe it or not for a short time he took his wife's last name (Oquendo).

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Topps once decided Roberto Clemente was Bob Clemente and Benito Santiago was Benny Santiago.

Supposedly the oddball issue Tara Plaques , has year variations that are deciphered by Benny one year , Benito the other. (Also supposed to tell if Ron Darling is listed on the Mets or not) But I have never found the Will Clark w a variation back

Ryan

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
From baseball-reference bullpen:

Snell's father left him at a young age and he changed his name from Ian Oquendo (his father's last name) to Snell, his mother's name. Snell only spoke to his birth father once (as of June 2009) and that was via telephone.

Snell, who was married to Angelica Davila, became close to her father, Juan Davila, who became his father figure. Snell applied to play for Puerto Rico in the
2009 World Baseball Classic because of his father-son relationship with Puerto Rican national Juan Davila. His uniform for the Puerto Rican national team read Davila Snell.

Ian Oquendo. Believe it or not for a short time he took his wife's last name (Oquendo).

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There was a guy in the late 90s I think who was Edgar Vazquez or something. But he was related to Roberto Clemente so he changed it to Edgar Clemente. Something like that, someone else probably remembers.

Roberto Kelly => Bobby Kelly

Chad Johnson => Ochocinco => Chad Johnson

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Supposedly the oddball issue Tara Plaques , has year variations that are deciphered by Benny one year , Benito the other. (Also supposed to tell if Ron Darling is listed on the Mets or not) But I have never found the Will Clark w a variation back

Ryan

Last years on-going discussion of the Tara Plaques failed to turn up a single variation back with/without Darling. I think everyone was leaning toward there only being a single issue.

If this is going to involve nicknames vs given names used on cards, this list could get very long (Rock Raines, Doc Gooden, Choo Choo Coleman, Cito Gaston, Boomer Wells, Sparky Anderson, Catfish Hunter, etc.).

Last edited:

Members online