Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1989 Fleer Pete Stanicek - and other baseball card myths from our youth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Back when I was 10, the Billy Ripken card from 89 Fleer was a big deal. Somehow a rumor began about the Pete Stanicek from the same set that he was the one who wrote "FF" on Ripken's bat, and to get back at him, Ripken wrote "h o m o" on Stanicek's bat. Take a look at the card and you'll see how this started. Obviously, this isn't true, but my ring of friends bought into this and the card was actually hot for a while. Here is an example from ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIOLES-PET...Autographed_Trading_Cards&hash=item33838aa315 Any other stories like this?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not exactly a legend or myth here, but when I first was buying packs cards in 1978, we had never seen an uglier face than that of Met's pitcher, Bob Apodaca. For years, that was THE worst card you could possibly pull from a pack of Topps cards and to pull an Apodaca was being the butt of all jokes!

saraceno21

Oct 18, 2012
I heard there is a basketball card from Dennis Rodman where there is "something" extra showing on the front of his card. It is his 1995-96 ud sp card.

Members online

Latest posts