Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why doesn't eBay...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
...offer a snipe service? Not only are they leaving money on the table but it'd bring higher closing sales and it'd shut down outside sites which basically infiltrate their site on behalf of bidders.

...allow sellers the ability to just take offers on items and not have to put a MASSIVE buy-it now price in order to do so?

...allow users to search historical prices which go back however far? Even if it was for a fee, they're leaving money on the table being the largest auction house and could be the price guide for nearly anything and everything. Not to mention other sites like Worthpoint are already doing it, so there is a market for it.

...create a separate section or even site for sports cards which has a different fee structure and shipping deals to make it more competitive to a COMCs on a larger scale where it's economical to sell cards for $1 or whatever and not get killed on fees, etc.?

Thoughts? Others?

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
...offer a snipe service? Not only are they leaving money on the table but it'd bring higher closing sales and it'd shut down outside sites which basically infiltrate their site on behalf of bidders.
If they did this, they would end up charging us 3-4 times what we pay now, for the service.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
If they did this, they would end up charging us 3-4 times what we pay now, for the service.

Well then we'd still use gixen... IMO I think it's stupid they don't and even offer it for free... think about it, there would be no more comments from buyers like "ugh, fell asleep and forgot to bid" or "I got tied up and missed the end of the auction" etc. etc. etc.

Not saying it'd be good for me because then maybe I'd miss out on good deals or something but just find it interesting they don't offer it. I think people underestimate how weird it is that we give a FREE site out log-in information to bid for us LOL... I mean that's nuts... they could just hijack our account or like think if sellers could see how many gixens are on their account or what the limits are?! I mean it's not crazy to think... online poker sites got hacked this year for millions or billions of dollars.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
...offer a snipe service? Not only are they leaving money on the table but it'd bring higher closing sales and it'd shut down outside sites which basically infiltrate their site on behalf of bidders.[/QUOTE}

Sniping lessens the final price usually. Ebay wants you to place bids over the length of the auction to drive up the ending price, making their sellers happy to realize a higher final price and ebay also benefits from higher fees collected on higher final prices.

...allow users to search historical prices which go back however far? Even if it was for a fee, they're leaving money on the table being the largest auction house and could be the price guide for nearly anything and everything.

Making historical prices harder to find helps ebay collect higher final prices as you can't see beyond so many weeks what the item has been selling for in order for a buyer to find frequency of an item listed and its typical price. I consider that ebay makes historical prices harder to find because of the limitations of how far back it goes plus the fact the completed listings item is buried in the mobile app or you have to scroll down some in a PC browser to find the button to select it. I think ebay licenses completed items data beyond what they allow on the website so they do make money if they had a license with beckett, for example, to help the beckett price guide.

...create a separate section or even site for sports cards which has a different fee structure and shipping deals to make it more competitive to a COMCs on a larger scale where it's economical to sell cards for $1 or whatever and not get killed on fees, etc.?

I don't see how this is possible considering ebay is a venue to match buyers/sellers and not
a warehouser of cards so you can ship cards from multiple sellers in one shipment to save postage.
on ebay, every card is going to have to come from a different seller so unless you get two sellers in the same area to meet up to mail their cards in one package, you aren't going to be able to save on postage.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
^^Very interesting... I would of thought a snipe service would be larger finishing prices for eBay. Also would of thought that charging for historical prices would just be easy money and don't see how historical prices would hinder a seller but maybe it would.

Latest posts