Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What Stimulus? Tax Man Cometh!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
I remember people were talking about what they will be buying with there stimulus check and refund check, well I will be buying nothing. Just came back from CPA and I am looking at paying Uncle Sam $3,000-$4,000 grand. I have it and will be putting the check in the mail not a day too soon. Glad I don't have much debt except my home.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Blue Hodges Reverend said:
I remember people were talking about what they will be buying with there stimulus check and refund check, well I will be buying nothing. Just came back from CPA and I am looking at paying Uncle Sam $3,000-$4,000 grand. I have it and will be putting the check in the mail not a day too soon. Glad I don't have much debt except my home.

I'm looking at a nice tax increase thanks to the idiots in Sacramento and Obama!

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I owe this year, too, but it's my wife's fault. When she switched her status to "married", she added me as a dependent. The problem was, I'm working and claiming myself as well. So, well, oops. My return gets wiped out by her mistake.

And, I don't think the tax breaks take effect until April, if I heard correctly. So there was no effect on 08 taxes (I think).

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
ummm

scan or ban?

????

It was wishful thinking on my part anyway because we have paid the government for the last 10 years straight or something like that. I don't like giving the gov't interest free loans, so I would reather spend their money and get mine then the other way around.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Blue Hodges Reverend said:
cgilmo said:
ummm

scan or ban?

????

It was wishful thinking on my part anyway because we have paid the government for the last 10 years straight or something like that. I don't like giving the gov't interest free loans, so I would reather spend their money and get mine then the other way around.

it was a joke, my ridiculousness knows no bounds.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
bungle77 said:
I owe this year, too, but it's my wife's fault. When she switched her status to "married", she added me as a dependent. The problem was, I'm working and claiming myself as well. So, well, oops. My return gets wiped out by her mistake.

And, I don't think the tax breaks take effect until April, if I heard correctly. So there was no effect on 08 taxes (I think).

LOL, I always tell people that if they're married, and their wife also works to claim single. That's funny that she added you as a dependent. :)

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
lisu said:
bungle77 said:

LOL, I always tell people that if they're married, and their wife also works to claim single. That's funny that she added you as a dependent. :)

I'm sure most wives would lump their husband in with the kids....it is all an act, men are a lot smarter than we let on to our significant others! :D

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
lisu said:
bungle77 said:

I know my CPA/Financial planner is a good one, but we can't seem to get around our three incomes [Sales/Hospital Supervisor (wife)/Pastor]. Not complaining and feel blessed, but man taxes kill the splurge factor.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
lisu said:
bungle77 said:

The funny (and frustrating) part is that she works in Human Resources. You'd think she'd know what to do...
I didn't find out until we were at H&R Block.

Which, by the way, all these people told me that the year that goes single-to-married that I should have them done professionally, instead of using the software like I always do. Spending $200 on that "service" was worse than finding out that I had to pay taxes - I was literally telling the guy what went where on the screen. But the "satisfaction guarantee" is just with regards to accuracy. It just made a bad mood worse.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
chrome_ball said:
Look at it this way, you had an interest free loan from the Feds over the past year.

exactly. That is why I never worry about paying, because two things happened when I do. #1 Interest free loan from the govt [as long as you are not too far off and have to pay penalties] and #2 I must have done very well in sales. Either way great for my family.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'd rather owe money than get a refund. If you think about it, there's some amount of money you'll owe. I'd rather have that money in hand, or at least in savings earning interest, and then pay my tax bill, than have the government hold onto it all year and then give it back to me. While it's nice getting it all in one lump sum, you have incrementally more real dollars if you withhold from the government rather than them withholding from you.

I'm getting back $252 this year, less than a third of what I got back last year. I made more, contributed less to my 401K (which was a good move), and refi'd my house so my mortgage interest was lower. As a result, I have a much smaller lump sum coming to me but I had more money in the bank all year.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I owe $800 this year and as others have said I am glad to have had the extra money all year instead of the government and it will be easily paid.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
sheetskout said:
I love all you guys....a ton.

All I hear is Me, Me, Me, Me, Me.

:)

excuse me, hope you are joking, but i don't work for america, but for my family and as for as me, me, me, i give over 15% to charity unlike our VP [2.5%]. :evil: :evil:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts