Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Facsimile Balls - Why do suppose you see so many listed as autographed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pete-Rose-J...46645420?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item35d169e7ac

As I typically do, I sent a courtesy email to the seller, informing them that their ball is a pre-print. Most people are cool, but every 5-6 times, I get a tool that argues with me or responds as a jerk, making claims I either don't know what I am talking about or a story that their grandpa got this signed in person! Note that i am not saying this person has done this. I have not seen a response yet. I just wanted to point out that it happens often enough to note it.

However, I had to resist with every once of strength I could not to slide the comment in about their 25 years experience when I set them straight, yet a preprint ball slides by with this much ease? Oops!

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Lots of people are stupid. Lots of people are lazy. Lots of people are greedy. You start talking memorabilia and you will be beating off all three groups with sticks. This listing is a prime example of a little of all three. But he is Rich in Deals, so...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I also see auctions of cards like 1980 and 1982 Topps, that have the fascimile autographs printed on the cards, that say the cards are autographed.
I think some naive sellers actually believe the cards are signed, but other sellers are scammers.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Some probably genuinely don't know, and some no doubt know but are hoping that bidders are fooled. I'm sure there's also a significant middle ground that isn't sure either way, but hopes or is willing to give he benefit of the doubt that it is real: not scammers, but somewhat willfully ignorant.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Hard to tell. He has a bunch of similar auctions too. Some are listed as stamped auto'd balls. Some are clearly stamped auto'd balls and are listed as autographed. Then he has some real signed balls. Hard to figure out what he has going in there.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
In the description it says 'stamped', seems like intentionally misleading the fore mentioned stupid, lazy, greedy people who only read the CAPITALIZED portions of the listing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
There's at least one guy on eBay that sell very well done "historical" replica balls that look aged and actually come in the time period box that the ball would have been in.

There is a market for that stuff, because I've noticed he has sold quite a bit of material.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
He updated the listing to add "stamped" and dropped the price from $300 to what it is now, so the link I have above is now meaningless to the thread. He didn't actually respond to my email, but obviously agreed with my assessment.

There's at least one guy on eBay that sell very well done "historical" replica balls that look aged and actually come in the time period box that the ball would have been in.

There is a market for that stuff, because I've noticed he has sold quite a bit of material.

Members online