Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

best pic size for forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
What is the best pic size to show on forums? I am trying to scan in my cards and upload some and wanted to make them perfect the first time.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I like too see cards in real size or maybe slightly larger. I think those thumbnails you have to click to enlarge or the giant shots are too small/too large.

mmyers1978

Dec 24, 2013
I can never get mine right. I always have them either as thumbnails, or the giant scans. I'd like to get them to actual size, but I'm not quite sure how to do that.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I resize in photobucket and my non-slab scans are about 354x252 height and width

They are slightly smaller than actual size.

I guess i can experiment tomorrow and update this thread to at least provide measurements for folks

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I scan all mine at 100%, 300 dpi, then resize to 72 dpi for web usage. Pixels should be 180x252 for a 2.5"x3.5" card. That's actual size of card.

13PANINIHHHSAUTO.jpg

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I just upload them and use the thumbnails that people can click on. That provides the best performance on the page as people only load the bigger pics if they want them. This also give a nice uniform size to the pics on the page. Reference my posts in the MT for what I mean.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION], the pixel size you give looks small to me (looking at the Grace Hometown Hero as an example). What is the resolution of your screen?

mine is 1366x768, and my resized photobucket images of 354x252 are small to my eyes, but they are bigger than your image sizes. Just curious if the computer screen resolution is also a variable.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Images optimized for the web are always 72 dots per inch. 72 x 2.5" = 180, 72 x 3.5" = 252. At 100% view, card should display at regular size. Of course, you may prefer a larger size. A 375x525 scan keeps the right aspect ratio, and gives a nice "larger" view.

Beckett's card gallery images are all standardized at 180x252.

If you are wanting to print your scans, 300 dpi is the general guideline. Pixels are then 750x1050.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Images optimized for the web are always 72 dots per inch. 72 x 2.5" = 180, 72 x 3.5" = 252. At 100% view, card should display at regular size. Of course, you may prefer a larger size. A 375x525 scan keeps the right aspect ratio, and gives a nice "larger" view.

Beckett's card gallery images are all standardized at 180x252.

If you are wanting to print your scans, 300 dpi is the general guideline. Pixels are then 750x1050.

72 PPI is a myth.

PPI doesn't matter when everyone has a different sized screen with different resolutions. You aren't going to get a 1:1 image unless you have a 72 PPI monitor.

The only benefit of having a 180x252 image is that it has a small file size. You are going to end up with a small, compressed image that lost a lot of detail.

On top of that, why would you want a 1:1 image. You probably sit around 2 feet from your monitor. Do you look at your baseball cards from 2 feet away?

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
72 PPI is a myth.

PPI doesn't matter when everyone has a different sized screen with different resolutions. You aren't going to get a 1:1 image unless you have a 72 PPI monitor.

The only benefit of having a 180x252 image is that it has a small file size. You are going to end up with a small, compressed image that lost a lot of detail.

On top of that, why would you want a 1:1 image. You probably sit around 2 feet from your monitor. Do you look at your baseball cards from 2 feet away?

Well, 72dpi is definitely not a myth. It's been the web defacto standard for years. There is some migration to 96dpi monitors, but 72dpi is still the defacto standard.

http://www.vsellis.com/understanding-dpi-resolution-and-print-vs-web-images/

I want smaller sized photos for quicker loading on my tablet and phone, and webpages with lots of scans.

File size is all about what you are going to do with the image. No one standard is right. More important is consistancy in your scans for a nice presentation.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Well, 72dpi is definitely not a myth. It's been the web defacto standard for years. There is some migration to 96dpi monitors, but 72dpi is still the defacto standard.

http://www.vsellis.com/understanding-dpi-resolution-and-print-vs-web-images/

I want smaller sized photos for quicker loading on my tablet and phone, and webpages with lots of scans.

File size is all about what you are going to do with the image. No one standard is right. More important is consistancy in your scans for a nice presentation.

DPI doesn't mean much unless you are printing.

The actual size that someone will see is dependant on the users output resolution, and the resolution of their monitor.

Get it to look how you want on your monitor, because you can't know how it will display on others.

Last edited:

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I like this size--slightly bigger than mine.

But my oh my the thought of re-uploading ALL of my images seems rather daunting. the easy way would be to resize "up" my current PB images, but i imagine they will look worse...

I crop everything to 400x280 and my scans usually display pretty well I think

2012ToppsFiveStarRetiredQuotableAutographsADAndreDawson9-10.jpg

383astro

Jan 13, 2009
Oklahoma
I like this size--slightly bigger than mine.

But my oh my the thought of re-uploading ALL of my images seems rather daunting. the easy way would be to resize "up" my current PB images, but i imagine they will look worse...

I am starting to scan my cards so I want to figure this out before I get too far in. I appreciate all the input guys. I didnt even think about all the different monitors. I was thinking of a standard size and it would just look the same on everyones screen, lol.

Members online