Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grading Strategy

How do you feel about sending in low end cards for grading?

• Send anything that has a chance at a 9.5 no matter what value

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Every time I go through my stuff to see what looks good to grade, I get stuck on lower end cards that are in great condition (what I would consider an easy 9.5), but are worth about $3 (e.g., non-auto Refs and Xfractors of players from 08 BDP). I just can't decide if it is worth it to pay twice as much (or more) for grading than I paid for the card...especially knowing that even though I think it will easily grade 9.5, there is a possibility that it doesn't even achieve that grade (making it a waste of money).

So what is your own personal strategy when sending in a submission for grading? Explain if you feel like it too.

And I'm assuming the target grade is 9.5 of course.

Edit: Added a third option to the poll as I realize I forgot an option to not send low end stuff at all.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Every time I go through my stuff to see what looks good to grade, I get stuck on lower end cards that are in great condition (what I would consider an easy 9.5), but are worth about $3 (e.g., non-auto Refs and Xfractors of players from 08 BDP). I just can't decide if it is worth it to pay twice as much (or more) for grading than I paid for the card...especially knowing that even though I think it will easily grade 9.5, there is a possibility that it doesn't even achieve that grade (making it a waste of money).

So what is your own personal strategy when sending in a submission for grading? Explain if you feel like it too.

And I'm assuming the target grade is 9.5 of course.

My Hansons that I bought for $3 and paid $5 to grade turned a nice profit so far, sold 3 for $35 each.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Paying for a low end card to be graded anything but a 9.5 is a waste of my money so I make sure anything that wouldn't sell raw for under $30 is going to gem.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
It's really hard to answer the poll, without knowing your cost per slab....

...and what types of "low end" cards you are talking about. Is it going by eBay/Market value? BV?

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
I really hope you sent in your Porcellos to be graded.......you want to strike while the iron is hot. I am sure you had a few that would grade well.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I am extremely selective when it comes to grading. I might do one 10-card submission a year. Probably a few PC items along with higher end RCs. I nit-pick to no end too. I always find fault with cards.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Depends-

Acquisition cost/card
Grading cost
Where/when you’ll sell the card

Today’s low end card (ah, the days of $5-10 bumgarner xfractors for ex.) can be tomorrow’s 9.5, so sometimes those 'low end' cards are worth grading

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
NEC- We'll assume it's for the group sub since this is the next submission I will be making, so $5.50 per card. And we're talkin market/ebay value. Here's an example of a card I'm thinking about sending. He's not a even close to being a top notch prospect, but being a Tiger pitcher with some potential, I bought a handful of his lower end parallels just for the hell of it. I bought it for like 2.50 dlvd or somethin like that and other the centering being slightly off L/R, the card is pretty close to perfect based on my evaluation.

JacobsonFractors-1.jpg

Eric-Still waiting on one more Limited auto to come in, but I haven't decided if I'm gonna be grading any of them. Two of the three AFLACs I have look like they could be 9.5s, but both look like the autos would not be graded 10. I still have to look closely at the Limiteds before I decide whether or not it would be worth it to crack them out of their factory casing.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
NEC- We'll assume it's for the group sub since this is the next submission I will be making, so $5.50 per card. And we're talkin market/ebay value. Here's an example of a card I'm thinking about sending. He's not a even close to being a top notch prospect, but being a Tiger pitcher with some potential, I bought a handful of his lower end parallels just for the hell of it. I bought it for like 2.50 dlvd or somethin like that and other the centering being slightly off L/R, the card is pretty close to perfect based on my evaluation.

JacobsonFractors-1.jpg

Eric-Still waiting on one more Limited auto to come in, but I haven't decided if I'm gonna be grading any of them. Two of the three AFLACs I have look like they could be 9.5s, but both look like the autos would not be graded 10. I still have to look closely at the Limiteds before I decide whether or not it would be worth it to crack them out of their factory casing.

besides centering t/b + l/r, looks like that xfractor may have 2 lines (silver, but maybe it's your scanner?) vertically (about 1/3 in starting from the left) + horizontally (bottom 1/3 or card).

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

JacobsonFractors-1.jpg

OK. Going by that, I say forget grading them right now. The hardest thing to do is grade low end prospects, and it's even harder to sell graded low end prospects. The market isn't what it used to be when it comes to that area, so you would be stuck with the card or end up selling it for a loss (after grading), should he never make waves.

If he does make waves and work his way to top prospect status, then you can quickly grade, or just sell immediately for the ultimate profit.

I currently have one lower end prospect in bulk (Tyler Kolodny) sitting at BGS, waiting on grades. At this point of the market, i actually wish I just kept them back, waiting for the market to demand higher prices.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
NECpilgrims8 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

JacobsonFractors-1.jpg

OK. Going by that, I say forget grading them right now. The hardest thing to do is grade low end prospects, and it's even harder to sell graded low end prospects. The market isn't what it used to be when it comes to that area, so you would be stuck with the card or end up selling it for a loss (after grading), should he never make waves.

If he does make waves and work his way to top prospect status, then you can quickly grade, or just sell immediately for the ultimate profit.

I currently have one lower end prospect in bulk (Tyler Kolodny) sitting at BGS, waiting on grades. At this point of the market, i actually wish I just kept them back, waiting for the market to demand higher prices.

Makes sense, that's kinda what I had been leaning toward doing, cuz if it comes to the point where a 9.5 would be a 25 dollar difference instead of a 3 dollar difference, I can still send them in at any time. Thanks for the insight.

Nice call on Kolodny, by the way...although this one's got a dinged corner :( http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/thenextlevel42/2 Prospect Autos/KolodnyEEE.jpg

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":1ozccz37]NEC- We'll assume it's for the group sub since this is the next submission I will be making, so $5.50 per card. And we're talkin market/ebay value. Here's an example of a card I'm thinking about sending. He's not a even close to being a top notch prospect, but being a Tiger pitcher with some potential, I bought a handful of his lower end parallels just for the hell of it. I bought it for like 2.50 dlvd or somethin like that and other the centering being slightly off L/R, the card is pretty close to perfect based on my evaluation.

JacobsonFractors-1.jpg

Makes sense, that's kinda what I had been leaning toward doing, cuz if it comes to the point where a 9.5 would be a 25 dollar difference instead of a 3 dollar difference, I can still send them in at any time. Thanks for the insight.

Nice call on Kolodny, by the way...although this one's got a dinged corner :( http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/thenextlevel42/2 Prospect Autos/KolodnyEEE.jpg[/quote:1ozccz37]

I have liked Kolodny since he was drafted. He might be a bit of a wild child, but he has a shot to become something, even against other guys like Rowell in the system.

I don't own any Kolodny Autos, although I probably should. Maybe some EEE autos if they are low enough.

I have something like 15 Blue Refs, 3 Gold Refs, and 1 Orange Refs.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
rainmanesq said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

JacobsonFractors-1.jpg

besides centering t/b + l/r, looks like that xfractor may have 2 lines (silver, but maybe it's your scanner?) vertically (about 1/3 in starting from the left) + horizontally (bottom 1/3 or card).

If I'm not mistaken, it's the design of the 08 xfractors and those spots are not considered lines. I'm not positive about that to be honest though.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
NECpilgrims8 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":3kmgf84f]NEC- We'll assume it's for the group sub since this is the next submission I will be making, so $5.50 per card. And we're talkin market/ebay value. Here's an example of a card I'm thinking about sending. He's not a even close to being a top notch prospect, but being a Tiger pitcher with some potential, I bought a handful of his lower end parallels just for the hell of it. I bought it for like 2.50 dlvd or somethin like that and other the centering being slightly off L/R, the card is pretty close to perfect based on my evaluation.

JacobsonFractors-1.jpg

Nice call on Kolodny, by the way...although this one's got a dinged corner :( http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/thenextlevel42/2 Prospect Autos/KolodnyEEE.jpg

I have liked Kolodny since he was drafted. He might be a bit of a wild child, but he has a shot to become something, even against other guys like Rowell in the system.

I don't own any Kolodny Autos, although I probably should. Maybe some EEE autos if they are low enough.

I have something like 15 Blue Refs, 3 Gold Refs, and 1 Orange Refs.[/quote:3kmgf84f]

Sounds like a pretty nice stash. I've picked up a handful of his cards when I can in trades and such, and I had him in a couple player case breaks last summer. Usually was able to get chrome base and refractors basically as throw-ins in a couple trades, but that auto with its crappy corner is regrettably the centerpiece of my mini-stash of him.

Members online

Latest posts