Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What were your card collecting habits, 10-15 years ago ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Were you a player collector, hoarding all the Travis Lee, Aaron McNeal, Mitch Einertson & Ryan Anderson's you could ? Were you a set collector ? Were you a flipper ?

Myself, I was still collecting players. Abreu, Kotsay, Dunwoody, Kerry Collins, James Jackson (Browns RB), William Green (Browns RB), Northcutt, just starting on McCown, Derrek Lee and several others. Busted a lot more wax (compared to what I do now).

How about you ?

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Were you a player collector, hoarding all the Travis Lee, Aaron McNeal, Mitch Einertson & Ryan Anderson's you could ? Were you a set collector ? Were you a flipper ?

Myself, I was still collecting players. Abreu, Kotsay, Dunwoody, Kerry Collins, James Jackson (Browns RB), William Green (Browns RB), Northcutt, just starting on McCown, Derrek Lee and several others. Busted a lot more wax (compared to what I do now).

How about you ?

I was making Rockies rare team sets 15 years ago - still doing it today. Not much has changed except players.

One of my favorite things about the Rockies is they have only been in existence since 1993 - so I've been able to collect throughout the entire history of the franchise.

If you find a niche that works stick to it.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I was still collecting Kirby Puckett. Although I was on a break from the hobby at that time which caused me to miss out on a ton of cards.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I was out of the hobby. The hobby became a chore for me plus dealing with unscrupulous people really turned me off. I made the choice to liquidate my inventory, take my loss and move on. Now, I just collect for fun, the $$$ aspect of it doesn't phase me now.

Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Same PC's. Exclusively Kirby Puckett at that time, vintage, and possibly some basketball for some reason

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Good question. Give the man an fcbux!

Anyway, ten years ago I heavily bought....HEAVILY BOUGHT.....anything and everything prospect wise from bowman products.

Boxes and singles from bowman as well as prospects from non bowman issues.

I also was pretty serious about my Donnie baseball collection.

Fifteen years ago, I also was prospecting although not nearly as much as ten years ago.

One of my top sets of all time came out back then, 1999 bowman chrome, especially series two.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
15 years ago (1999) - I was still collecting Frank Thomas which I had started in 1993, but that was slowing down and my pack buying was just about done. I had discovered ebay just the year before and was reinforcing my vintage, oddball, Garvey and autograph collections with sweet buys all around. Pretty much the same focus now.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Just started using Ebay and LCS were dying off. Really kicked into high gear on my Ripken collection and about this time finished my 1972 Topps Set. Traded away a lot of stuff while using Sportscardfun.com. Some I regret some I do not mostly Basketball stuff Jordans etc. This was the time I was realizing that almost everything was accessible thanks to the internet. My collecting habits changed forever.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Nothing has changed. I had just started collecting Butler, but I had already been chasing vintage Dodger team sets and complete vintage sets.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
1999 - had started buying on eBay the year before, and that was taking my Grace collection to a new level, also was building my first website, gracecollector.com. Got the name markgrace.com a few years later. Doing the website also fueled my collecting fever. I was living on northside of Chicago, going to Cubs games, and buying cards at both LCS and stores like Jewel/Osco (who all had a revolving display case of cards), 7-11, Target and Walmart. Mostly a player collector

2004 - height of my Donruss/Leaf/Playoff box busting days. So many great products released 2002-2005. Got a little crazy on busting boxes from my LCS. Had my first son, and had to cut way back. Spent more money in 2004-2005 than was good for me, and stopped buying all but the occassional box by end of 2005. Grace collection was dying down without new cards, so branched into new, smaller player collections, a few vintage cards, and learning more about the old stuff, especially Cubs history.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I was really into collecting comics and comic related card sets as well as action figures. I wasn't into sports cards because I saw how many different sets were being produced and also didn't like the fact you pay $3 or more for a pack and have no idea what you're getting. I've never been a gambler and hated and still do hate the idea. I liked to know exactly what I was getting. Plus, I felt with what I had as far as a collection goes, I'd never be able to match a card collection to my comic collection.

That all changed in 2006 when I decide to collect cards and trade my comics for them. I'm still convinced my collection isn't as strong as my comic collection was but I think it's getting there. Plus, in a lot of ways, my card collection has eclipsed some of my comic stuff. I've got cards I've only seen once or that only one exists. I had very few comics or action figures that for that criteria. Plus, I'm not forced to bust wax and I can still get things I want. If I do bust wax, it's for the base set and I consider the gu and autos a bonus. So it's less of a gamble for me that way.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I was more team collecting with a small bernie pc. Had many jeter auto's and yankee hof game used cards. Life got in the way in 2005 and sold off most everything except my bernie pc.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
1999 - I was out of the hobby completely. I had stopped collecting after Jordan retired, and that pretty much marked the end of my childhood collection. I would get back into the hobby chasing 2000 Fleer GotG autos the next year.

2004 - I was exclusively a player collector, focusing on my Jack Wilson collection. I was also busting a pretty decent amount of wax and getting absolutely killed on it. I joined the BMB somewhere in early 2004, and saw Dano's TTM thread right around the start of Spring Training. I started sending out requests to Pirate players and some HoFer's. The excitement of checking the mailbox each day really added a new level of enjoyment in the hobby for me.

A decade later I have sworn off wax, my Jack Wilson collection has evolved into a 12,000 card team collection, and received over 3,000 TTM autographs.

Members online

Latest posts