Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PAYPAL DRAINED COMPLETELY - Warning Warning Warning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
Just received probably 34 emails from Paypal Shipping and each shipping was $47 to $61 using USPS priority mail shipping. Drained my entire account. From Russia using Malware.

Anybody else have that problem.

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
Never understood why & no one has ever given me a compelling reason why anyone would leave money in a PayPal account. What's the difference in leaving it in PP account or transferring it to your bank account? You still have access to it and can instanteously pay for purchased items once it's in your bank account. I'd think this very thing is reason enough to never have a PP balance....

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I think something like this happened a while back and someone posted it, not sure if it was shipping or not.

Going forward, get a paypal debit card and pull your money out or xfer it.

Last edited:

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Never understood why & no one has ever given me a compelling reason why anyone would leave money in a PayPal account. What's the difference in leaving it in PP account or transferring it to your bank account? You still have access to it and can instanteously pay for purchased items once it's in your bank account. I'd think this very thing is reason enough to never have a PP balance....

Exactly. There is no difference. In other words, someone can hack your regular bank account just the same. It's never happened to me in Paypal but has happened to me on my regular bank account.

I have had a PP debit card for 7 or 8 years now. I always keep a balance and use my card all the time. Why? I get 1% cash back on every purchase.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I usually keep a zero PayPal balance and use it to pay with my credit card (and get the reward miles on my credit card). The PayPal fees are different whether I use balance or bank account or CC.

- Rodrick

DaleMurphyCollector

Aug 7, 2008
Imagination Land
Exactly. There is no difference. In other words, someone can hack your regular bank account just the same. It's never happened to me in Paypal but has happened to me on my regular bank account.

I have had a PP debit card for 7 or 8 years now. I always keep a balance and use my card all the time. Why? I get 1% cash back on every purchase.

Still not giving any kind of compelling reason to carry a balance in PayPal. You can get more than 1% from other financial institutions.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Change your eBay and PayPal passwords to something more secure. My brothers account was hacked a while back. Basically they figure out your eBay password then check to see if you have a linked PayPal account. If you do they print massive amounts of shipping labels to drain your account.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Still not giving any kind of compelling reason to carry a balance in PayPal. You can get more than 1% from other financial institutions.

The point is why do you need a compelling reason? Your hypothesis is built on the theory that it's less safe to keep money in Paypal than in a "regular" financial institution when, in actuality, there isn't much difference (other than you can't write checks from Paypal, which doesn't apply to me because I don't write checks). Just from personal experience, I have not found Paypal to be any less safe than a traditional financial institution. As I mentioned before, my regular account has been hacked whereas my Paypal account has not.

I guess it's just really a matter of preference. I own a small online business through which my customers pay me via Paypal, which is why I always have a significant amount of money in Paypal at any given time. I simply choose to use Paypal as my "bank".

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
I usually keep a zero PayPal balance and use it to pay with my credit card (and get the reward miles on my credit card). The PayPal fees are different whether I use balance or bank account or CC.

- Rodrick
I do this as well. A bank is FDIC insured as well and I get miles (or other travel related benefits) with my Venture card. I know Paypal offers some protection, but they're nowhere near as secure as the banking/CC systems.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Whether you keep a balance or not, wouldn't a hacker be able to steal your money in any case? If you had zero PayPal balance, the funds would just come from your bank account or CC.

On a side note, this thread has prompted me to change my ebay and PayPal passwords.

- Rodrick

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
Whether you keep a balance or not, wouldn't a hacker be able to steal your money in any case? If you had zero PayPal balance, the funds would just come from your bank account or CC.

On a side note, this thread has prompted me to change my ebay and PayPal passwords.

- Rodrick

Good idea. Thanks for prompting me to do the same. Didn't Paypal use to have a little keychain random password generator that would give you a new password every so often?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Do you need a professional PP account to transfer more than $500/month from PP to your bank account? Or is that even a thing anymore?

Members online

Latest posts