Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Michael Young announces retirement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm surprised and saddened by this, as a Rangers and Young fan.
A few years ago, it looked like he had a shot at 3,000 hits.

ESPN -- Longtime Texas Rangers star Michael Young has decided to retire with 2,375 hits in only 13 full seasons.

Reports surfaced the past few weeks that Young was contemplating whether to play another season, likely in a backup role, or stepping away from the game to spend more time with his family.

Young, who still has a home in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, split the 2013 season between the Philadelphia Phillies and Los Angeles Dodgers.

But Young's legacy is as a Ranger, where he played 12 seasons and 1,873 games.
He played in two World Series and ended up in 43 postseason games despite not playing in one at all until 2010.

Young finishes his career with a .300 batting average and a .441 slugging percentage.
He won a batting title in 2005 with Texas and was named to seven All-Star teams.

He finished in the top-10 of the MVP voting twice and won a Gold Glove at shortstop in 2008.

Young was a consistent hitter, belting out more than 200 hits in six of his 12 full seasons in the big leagues, including five straight campaigns from 2003 to 2007.

Young was a durable player, never ending up on the disabled list and averaging 155 games per season in his 12 full seasons.

Young made the decision to waive his no-trade clause and approve a deal in December 2012 to the Phillies when it was clear his role was going to be further reduced with other young players needing time in the lineup.

Last edited:

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
As a huge Michael Young fan, I too am saddened to hear this. I thought he had at least a couple of more good years left.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
some of my youngs:
YOUNGMICHAEL1.jpg

YOUNGMICHAEL.jpg

jrosales

Mar 23, 2013
I'm a huge Young fan, and this saddens me big time. I wanted him to keep playing, even if it was with another team. I desperately wanted him to get 3000 hits.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder if this will prevent Milwaukee from extending him a spring training invite to try out at 1st base?

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
I was hoping Young would take over for Arod at third on the Yankees.
Yeah he got chance to play everyday instead the Dodgers only offer platoon role. Guess family & warm weather places come first. Even w/o 3000 hits I heard the stat he put up compare to 8 players all in the HOF. So if someone give him a call later in season & make him change his mind he can definitely reach the HOF.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
Michael Young represents a VERY small group of UCSB alumni in the MLB, so I always liked him. He played for a division rival, but always a class act and great player.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
HUGE tip of the cap to Michael Young. Another of my favorites to watch play the game. True team player.

Members online