Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

EBAY: Building a better listing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I think it would be great for the FCB community to share any tips/advice about selling on Ebay. Also, as a buyer what information are you looking for? What are the best days & times to list? Anything you have to share would certainly be appreciated by all who aren't as experienced as an Ebay seller.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
When I sell something, I tell you what the card is and give an opinion on the condition of the card (I tend to under grade a card and say a card is Near Mint instead of Gem Mint). I use to add other info such as "future HOF" or "this will make a nice addition to your player collection" or "if you are a team fan, you need this card" but I do not do that anymore as all that extra stuff is not needed. Buyers want to know exactly what the card is, the card number/serial number and condition. Just be honest in your description and include if a card has creases, scratches or dinged corners. Don't say "see picture for condition details" because some computers/devices might not view the picture as well as other computers/devices do.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
For the sake of finding an item quickly and easily among all the crap and clutter on ebay and getting all the info needed, here is what I'd like to see:

I want a focused photo of the card front and back, large enough to see detail. if there are conditional issues that I can't see (smoke smell, warping, etc) I want it disclosed.

I want a detailed description of the set (year, mfgr, etc) and if it is a base/insert/parallel, etc.

I want the players team listed (the one he is shown playing for on the item, not every team he ever played for as well - see bottom of the reply).

If the card is serial numbered, I want the number listed (268/1000).

I want to see a clear policy on combined shipping, including any additional per card fees, if there is a cap, etc.

Beyond that, it's more about what I don't want to see in a listing, like keyword spamming, players unrelated to this one, teams not shown, ebay 1/1, hot, look, what a deal, etc.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
As a buyer, I think the best time to end an auction is during a weekday morning or afternoon Pacific Time, if it's not an auto card don't put "non-auto" or "not auto" in the title, misspell the players name, don't put complete attributes in the title or description, charge no more than $2.50 for shipping, and start every card at $.01 or $.99 and let it run.

;)

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
As a buyer, I can't stand when the picture shows a scan of multiple cards and the description is a generic "this auction is for the card listed in the title only." These auctions then often go on to contain multiple paragraphs outlining the seller's demands for payment, shipping, etc, etc.

I think listings should be simple and to the point. They should contain a picture of only the card for sale. The description should contain the card's year, set name, card #, player name, and team name. Forget trying to hype up the card or player.

- Rodrick

Dpendola

Apr 16, 2013
I am a frequent buyer from eBay, sometimes several times a month. I buy everything from single cards to lots to hot packs, I like to know exactly what I'm getting, no bush beating. As stated in previous posts I like to know the serial number, condition, front and back scans. Also I think communication is key when it comes to eBay, you should always make sure you ask the seller any questions you may have before you buy.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Specifically mention how you are shipping. You'd be surprised how many sellers charge $2+ for shipping, which you'd assume would be a bubble mailer, and send it PWE. Actually stating how you will send will give you an advantage over these nitwits.

This is ESPECIALLY important if you have free shipping. I will no longer bid on thick cards that are under $10 starting bid with free shipping and the seller doesn't state he send in bubble mailers. I'll only bother to send a question to the seller about it if I really want the card badly...otherwise I just don't bid. Obviously if the card is damaged in shipment I can get my money back, but it's a hassle and I have to pay for return shipping.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
As a buyer, I can't stand when the picture shows a scan of multiple cards and the description is a generic "this auction is for the card listed in the title only." These auctions then often go on to contain multiple paragraphs outlining the seller's demands for payment, shipping, etc, etc.

I think listings should be simple and to the point. They should contain a picture of only the card for sale. The description should contain the card's year, set name, card #, player name, and team name. Forget trying to hype up the card or player.

- Rodrick

All of this, plus the card serial #.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Specifically mention how you are shipping. You'd be surprised how many sellers charge $2+ for shipping, which you'd assume would be a bubble mailer, and send it PWE. Actually stating how you will send will give you an advantage over these nitwits.

This is ESPECIALLY important if you have free shipping. I will no longer bid on thick cards that are under $10 starting bid with free shipping and the seller doesn't state he send in bubble mailers. I'll only bother to send a question to the seller about it if I really want the card badly...otherwise I just don't bid. Obviously if the card is damaged in shipment I can get my money back, but it's a hassle and I have to pay for return shipping.

Great point!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Spend more time worrying about the title than the description. I have found that with a good title you get significantly more hits on your listing than a decent or poor title (the latter is obvious...) While all it takes is 2 people to drive prices up, and some times poorly listed items sell well as people compete hoping for a steal, it's a risky play.

If you are not very familiar with what you are selling (or never did it before) search similar items and see how people are listing to see if there are any particular quirks related to the item. (For example with cards we use "auto" and "autograph" while signed items often are listed (and searched) using words like "signed" or "signature". Also, in baseball it is very rare for anyone to list the year as "05", but in other sports it is more common, especially with hockey and basketball where the season runs through 2 calendar years.)

Include the year, set, player name and other relevant terms. IMPORTANT: In crafting your description, consider the search words people will use to find such an item. While it is nice to have 19/50 listed in the title, unless the number "19" is significant, (like a jersey number) no one is searching by that number. Include /50, and list the specifics in the listing.

Include both "auto" and "autograph" if you have space. Consider using capital letters for the player's name if it is not the first thing in the listing so that it catches the eye (but do not use caps for everything. It is harder to read and many find it annoying).

Members online

Latest posts