Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Custom Card Dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Hello All,

Most of you probably read that RAZORZ built me a custom card a week or so ago. The card has Joey Votto of the Cincinnati Reds on it being featured on the TV show; The Cleveland Show. I made a spot on the card for Votto to sign. I contacted the Reds, presented the card to them. They love it and said they can get him to sign it.

Here is the issue. The Reds want me to donate the card to the Reds Community Fund so it can be auctioned. They feel it will bring in at least $1,000 if auctioned for the charity.

I do feel as is they're holding Votto's signature on it as a bargaining tool to acquire the card. They're really good at making you feel like a ****** if you don't donate to them. I also don't want the card to end up in some rich lawyer/doctor/corporate big wigs den in his mansion as a show piece to exploit his gracious donation to the auction/community fund.

What do I do? Votto doesn't do signings unless its for charities and that's limited as well.

Fordman

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Would it be feasible for RAZORZ to make a second copy, maybe a little different, one for your collection, one to donate to the Reds?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
This may be an interesting (and well deserved) opportunity for [MENTION=3228]Razor[/MENTION]Z to build a connection with a sports team if he is interested....

JustinG08

Aug 9, 2008
Clearwater, FL
I would suggest consigning the card to someone who can have it signed during spring training or the regular season. Several members over at SCN would be willing to help.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd only do it under the condition that I got a second copy of the card signed. Unless I'm reading it wrong, the whole intent of your endeavor was to get a custom made and then have it signed. Not get a custom made and then have it high jacked by someone to charity off. I'm sure you paid to have it done too. So if they refuse to do this, I'd offer a personal donation of $25 or so and ask for the card to be signed and returned to me. Otherwise, I'd just hang onto the card or ask for it back.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Thanks for the suggestions guys/gals! They make you feel like a schmo if you don't help them out but as one post said, it is a custom and I'd like it to stay that way. RAZORZ did suggest making a second one similar, yet different in a few aspects. I might go that route as if I give them one, maybe get mine signed as well. I don't want to try and put stipulations with them getting a card only if I get mine signed.

As for RAZORZ making them for a team, I think Topps and MLB would have an issue, but that's my unprofessional opinion.

Fordman

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions guys/gals! They make you feel like a schmo if you don't help them out but as one post said, it is a custom and I'd like it to stay that way. RAZORZ did suggest making a second one similar, yet different in a few aspects. I might go that route as if I give them one, maybe get mine signed as well. I don't want to try and put stipulations with them getting a card only if I get mine signed.

As for RAZORZ making them for a team, I think Topps and MLB would have an issue, but that's my unprofessional opinion.

Fordman

I was thinking for special events like these but even that may be an issue for all I know. Was just thinking if they liked his work they would probably be interested in an introduction, and I imagine he would benefit from such a relationship (unless they just guilt him into making cards :) )

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Hello All,

Most of you probably read that RAZORZ built me a custom card a week or so ago. The card has Joey Votto of the Cincinnati Reds on it being featured on the TV show; The Cleveland Show. I made a spot on the card for Votto to sign. I contacted the Reds, presented the card to them. They love it and said they can get him to sign it.

Here is the issue. The Reds want me to donate the card to the Reds Community Fund so it can be auctioned. They feel it will bring in at least $1,000 if auctioned for the charity.

I do feel as is they're holding Votto's signature on it as a bargaining tool to acquire the card. They're really good at making you feel like a ****** if you don't donate to them. I also don't want the card to end up in some rich lawyer/doctor/corporate big wigs den in his mansion as a show piece to exploit his gracious donation to the auction/community fund.

What do I do? Votto doesn't do signings unless its for charities and that's limited as well.

Fordman

I'd ask the Reds, if you think this card will bring $1k+ at a charity auction and you want it so bad, what are YOU going to do for me, being as I will be donating this for the organization/charity?

Then wait for their reply and negotiate from there. Be sure to ask for the moon if they really think this card will bring $1k+ at auction. Get a meet and greet with Joey, get a game used jersey, or glove, or bats, etc, get your picture taken with Joey, get as many autos as you can, etc. Flip that XXXX on them, hold them hostage.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'd ask the Reds, if you think this card will bring $1k+ at a charity auction and you want it so bad, what are YOU going to do for me, being as I will be donating this for the organization/charity?

Then wait for their reply and negotiate from there. Be sure to ask for the moon if they really think this card will bring $1k+ at auction. Get a meet and greet with Joey, get a game used jersey, or glove, or bats, etc, get your picture taken with Joey, get as many autos as you can, etc. Flip that XXXX on them, hold them hostage.
Actually really like this idea and post.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I didn't see the custom, but if it uses team logos or trademarks, that could be your out as far as asking for the card back. Tell them that because you had a custom card made for you with team logos and/or show licensing artwork, it would be a copyright issue for you to provide it to them for resale or profit - it was only intended for personal enjoyment and not public consumption. They can't argue against that.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Kinda hard to play hard ball with them. One of the Reds Community fund event organizers is a neighbor. I can't risk loosing a really good neighbor over this. He's a really great guy and he doesn't have any negative bones in his body but its his boss playing hard ball with me. My neighbor has gotten me into events before that were invite only and I wasn't on the guest list, so I don't want to burn that bridge.

Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Kinda hard to play hard ball with them. One of the Reds Community fund event organizers is a neighbor. I can't risk loosing a really good neighbor over this. He's a really great guy and he doesn't have any negative bones in his body but its his boss playing hard ball with me. My neighbor has gotten me into events before that were invite only and I wasn't on the guest list, so I don't want to burn that bridge.

Fordman

You gotta look out for you though. Don't be a dick about it when asking, but just say, "Hey, if I'm donating this and it's gonna bring at least a grand for charity, what could Red(s) do for me ?". Don't fall for the neighbor saying, "Well, I'll see what I can do once I get the card in hand." You'll get the screws then.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008

Fordman

Well, this is additional info not originally provided.
I guess if you feel you cant really risk losing a good neighbor over this, then you do what they demand, you give them your card, let them make money off of it, you get nothing in return, except for taking one in the backside!

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
See if you can get another similar made, or why not same thing? Tell them you want both signed and they can have one, and see what else you can get. They are happy. You are happy. Keep your happy neighbor and he still invites you to Reds functions. Win. Win. Win. Win. Full of so much Win.