Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Of all the HOFers who sign a TON of autos these days...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
...who would be the highest in demand had they died at a young age and only had cut autos? (like Clemente for example)

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
He just passed but I think it has to be Musial. I wrote an article some time back which listed the best "deals" for an autograph collection and he was #1 . Arguably a top 5 hitter all-time who played for a single team on a legendary franchise his whole career and was adored by the media and you can get his autograph even now after he has passed for $30.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I was also thinking about Nolan Ryan. If he had died young and only had cut autos, I could see his prices being crazy.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
He just passed but I think it has to be Musial. I wrote an article some time back which listed the best "deals" for an autograph collection and he was [URL=http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] . Arguably a top 5 hitter all-time who played for a single team on a legendary franchise his whole career and was adored by the media and you can get his autograph even now after he has passed for $30.

I picked up an index card this week and have been mocking up designs because I'm snowed in....

12316952935_a460ab9685_z.jpg

#2 (One I'm currently tinkering with)
12324686084_a47a44deb7_z.jpg

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Willie Mays would be my guess.

Good choice, though I'm not sure I'd put him in the "signs a ton" category. His auto'd cards are still pretty hard to come by and command a high price. I was thinking more of the guys who we see in just about every product.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Frank Robinson

RoY and 2 MVPs by 30yrs of age (In the Mantle,Aaron,Mays era) . If he'd have died as an active player, sadly he'd be much more appreciated.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Jeter; I would not say he signs a ton but if there were only cuts his autos would be nuts based upon being the Captain.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Good choice, though I'm not sure I'd put him in the "signs a ton" category. His auto'd cards are still pretty hard to come by and command a high price. I was thinking more of the guys who we see in just about every product.
He has certified autographed cards in several dozen products from as far back as the 90's to as recently as 2014. They may not be of a high quantity (most are <100) but there are a lot (in the realm of 10's of thousands) and they still sell for a ton.

but if that answer will not suffice, my other 3 guesses would be: George Brett, Cal Ripken, and Tom Seaver.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
If Griffey had perished before joining the Reds, the Mantle/Griffey UD Auto would be possibly the most iconic card of the modern era.

He was just named to the All-Century team and would be forever thought of as "The Kid" and not the oft-injured aging slugger.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
My choice would be Musial as well. But a close 2nd Pete Rose? Not technically a HOF'er. He's always at shows and for cheap.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Although it doesn't exactly fit the OP's premise I'd have to think if Mantle or DiMaggio died 20 years earlier, there'd be even more mythos about them and the limited number of autos would have them up with Ruth and Cobb. Although, I think they were two of the biggest draws on the autograph circuit in the 80s when the hobby really exploded, so things might have progressed much differently for their images. And for the hobby as a whole.

I'd throw Reggie Jackson out there. If Reggie died in 1990, let's say, he might've been elected to the Hall immediately, and it might've had him cast a much larger shadow in the hobby than his continued availability does today.

This hobby is messed up sometimes.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Isn't this basically what happened to Kirby Puckett? He was signing at a good clip, then he died. He might be the most iconic Twin after more history is written.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just about any HOF or star player who died in his prime at a young age, prior to the 70s-80s would be in high demand, based on the current market for any pre 80s deceased stars. It's hard to imagine a Bob Feller, Brooks Robinson of Duke Snider auto costing you much of anything even after they die (Robinson being the sole survivor of that group, of course) because they signed so freely, but had Snider died at the end of his career, for example, his signature would not be so common and would cost big bucks much like Gil Hodges.