Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What was that one card that??? When you were a kid or started collecting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I started collecting around 77-78 and there were many awesome cards of great players, but there was one that always stuck out to me. I had one or 2 of this card, but that wasn't the point, the card, the player, the design, the smile, something about it grabbed me. To this day, if some one says Jim rice, this is the picture in my head. I live on the west coast and I am an Angels fan, no ties to the sox or Rice at all. I have no idea why it was this card, but this card helped suck me into the hobby. The second card of Dave Parker, had a similar effect, but not to the level of the Rice.

Was there one or maybe 2 cards, from the beginning of the hobby for you, that just stuck out and you don't know why, you just loved it??
Post a pic and explain the story, if you don't have a pic, find one on ebay or link an auction of it, maybe someone will need to have it and buy it.
(no spam please, keep it fun)

$_57.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Topps-...0852962320?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2ec3c4fc10

$_3.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-TOPPS-...1365141614?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item338a64006e

Maybe I just feared big dudes, that hit the crap out of the ball.

Last edited:

mmyers1978

Dec 24, 2013
For me, it was this one:

2931868.jpg

I just love the way that this card looks. I always have. That, and the fact that everyone had a lot of these, and I didn't, helped to get me going.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
For me, it was this one:

2931868.jpg

I just love the way that this card looks. I always have. That, and the fact that everyone had a lot of these, and I didn't, helped to get me going.

I remember it well. It was a beauty.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
My favorite player growing up. Loved this card (obviously the first one I ever got is NOT in a PSA 10 condition, let's just say it was well-handled as kids are apt to do)

SnyderCory_1985ToppsOLYRC_PSA10_zps8cd8635f.jpg

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
My favorite player growing up. Loved this card (obviously the first one I ever got is NOT in a PSA 10 condition, let's just say it was well-handled as kids are apt to do)

I liked snyder too. Great arm, but injuries did him in .

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
1979 Topps Reggie Jackson was in the first pack I ever opened....I was hooked after that.

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson....I thought to myself that this guy's stance was cool and that he might turn out to be a good ball player.

1980 Topps Dave Parker All Star....I never pulled this card from a pack nor did any of my friends and it was the only one I needed for my set.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
My dad got me a card of my favorite player at the time joe pepitone i still have it somewhere....... Will scan when i find it. Topps not sure what year late sixties.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
These were the four cards I always wanted most as a kid:

Seaver, N.Ryan, and S.Carlton, were my boyhood idols, so naturally these were what I wanted and was always on the lookout for:

Also the 65' Carlton rookie. I knew someone who had one, but I couldn't save up enough to get it

Yaz was so iconic in Boston that I gravitated towards finding his cards, and this was the one I was always trying to get:

Financially speaking, I wanted to invest in a Hank Aaron rookie if I could ever have figured out how to do it. The closest I got was a nice 1959 Aaron. I used to go to some shows and drool over this one:

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I can't say it was one perticular card or player. It was the design and the cursive writing of the word Yankees on the 1978 Topps cards. I would rip those packs and look for Yankees. A problem I still have today.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013

Snyder was a popular player in my hometown when he was with the Waterbury Indians. I still have his Waterbury card signed from years ago. That was real good baseball back in the day.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
'88 Donruss Daryl Strawberry. I was 8 at the time and packs of '88 Donruss we're given as party favors at a buddy's birthday. I pulled the Strawberry and everyone was jealous and wanted to trade for it. I didn't know a thing about cards or players but I held on to it. That moment's euphoria spawned what would then become an obsession until about 16 years old.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I started heavily collecting in 88 and 89, even though I had cards all the way back to 84. I remember my first amazing card was the 89 Upper Deck Don Mattingly checklist card. He was and still is my favorite player all time(no disrespect Mr. Zimmerman). I always wanted his 1984 Donruss RC. I think I was 13 or 14 and on my birthday, my dad surprised me with the 84 Donruss card. I slept with the card, albeit in a 4 screw Lucite holder, for weeks after I got it. Tucked it under my pillow at night. I still have the card today and have picked up his Fleer and Topps RC's as well.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I started heavily collecting in 88 and 89, even though I had cards all the way back to 84. I remember my first amazing card was the 89 Upper Deck Don Mattingly checklist card. He was and still is my favorite player all time(no disrespect Mr. Zimmerman). I always wanted his 1984 Donruss RC. I think I was 13 or 14 and on my birthday, my dad surprised me with the 84 Donruss card. I slept with the card, albeit in a 4 screw Lucite holder, for weeks after I got it. Tucked it under my pillow at night. I still have the card today and have picked up his Fleer and Topps RC's as well.

Cool story. You guys that started later are lucky, we didn't have holders, so had I slept with a card, it would have game used drool stains, as well as, bubble gum.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
1984D Donnie Baseball RC

Never got it as a kid but wanted it so badly. Just couldn't afford it. Still to this day, I've never purchased it, but it has always been one of my favorite looking cards. I think I've intentionally never purchased it just to keep that memory of the desire to own it alive, if that makes any sense... It does to me!

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
1984D Donnie Baseball RC

Never got it as a kid but wanted it so badly. Just couldn't afford it. Still to this day, I've never purchased it, but it has always been one of my favorite looking cards. I think I've intentionally never purchased it just to keep that memory of the desire to own it alive, if that makes any sense... It does to me!

I had quite a few. A few years later i spilt a glass of water in my room and ruined them and a few gooden rcs.