Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I just cut the top off my griffey card! Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I purchased this griffey and during shipping it must have come out of the toploader. When I was opening my package I cut the top off of it. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm thinking I just have to eat it, I mean I am the one that cut it up. Does the seller bear any responsibility for not packaging it very well? I could feel the toploader in the middle of the package so I was pretty sure I wasn't cutting the card. Funny thing is there is tape on the top of the toploader so I don't know if it just broke or if they were using an old toploader. Anyways what do you guys think? My fault and I should just eat it and buy another one, seller's fault for not securing the card better or some sort of middle ground? How would you feel if you sold the card and I wrote you saying I cut the top of the card off? I'm thinking even though the card wasn't packed well it was my scissors that did the damage therefore my fault and not the sellers but if you guys think otherwise I'd love to hear it. Thank goodness it wasn't something more expensive. Anyways here are the photo's:

scan0002.jpg

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
Go get a refund for that. I'll bet the seller didn't tape the top of the top loader and it is his/her fault.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Ouch. Never happened to me. Maybe it'd be worth it to send the scan to the seller and explain the situation, might be a good person and do something for you

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
From now on, cut a small piece of the corner off the mailer and use a letter opener, knife or scissors to open. I always fold a piece of paper on the top loader and tape it before mailing. It is both your faults. Email the seller and see what he/she says but do not expect anything.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
i always cut the side off, never the top for that reason. sorry this happened.

Thanks I think I will start opening my packages on the side now, that is good advice. Too bad it took this to figure that out lol.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Uhm...it's not the sellers fault. Yes he could have shipped it better (i.e. tape) but really...the card wasn't damaged in transit which is the overall goal of the shipping process. Does it merit a lower star rating? Yes. But all of you guys open your mailers with scissors? Even then, why not jog the mailer a little to ensure any free floating contents are now at the bottom? No offense meant but if I was a seller and you messaged me saying you cut your card up because you weren't careful or too impatient to open the package carefully, I'd laugh. And wonder if you were serious.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't disagree that the seller should be held accountable for poor packaging, but good luck getting someone to claim blame for that. I have damaged at least one item like that, so now I am very careful when I open packages that way. A letter opener is good, but also making sure that any item in the mailer is slid to one end helps too (if it can move within).

The over packaging that some people do hasn't helped. Sometimes I get recycled mailers that have so much tape on them that the only way to open is with a razor/knife!

In reality, it was carelessness in opening the package that caused the damage.
Go get a refund for that. I'll bet the seller didn't tape the top of the top loader and it is his/her fault.

mancini79

Jul 9, 2010
Maybe I have too much pride, but no way would I tell the seller what I did. That's embarrassing. I'd just leave a positive comment and move on. But on a positive note, looks like you did an awesome job cutting up the sides of the card. ;)

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
1. Always put tape across top of holder when shipping. 2. When opening, I peel the flap with my hands and never use a knife to slice top off like that. Looks like a freak occurrence, but I never chance it.

This notice is required by law.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
1. Always put tape across top of holder when shipping.

I use a piece of paper across the top of the top cardhodler and then tape that to the cardholder. I hate when crappy tape is used and it cannot be peeled off the cardholder.

Use Scotch brand tape only on cardholders. Peels easy......

And OP- sorry- that is harsh. I only use knife if absolutely necessary and cut away from contents.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I think you eat this one, Mike. I personally would never go back to a seller and say hey, the card fell out of the toploader because you didn't tape it or put it in a team bag and I cut the card opening the bubble mailer... I mean, say it back as if someone was saying it to you, with you as the seller. Sounds a little like a desparate plea for someone else to take the blame for a mishap you created.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Team bag anyone?!? Solves the problem from both perspectives.

Also, I just wanted to add this... When I get a package in the mail in a bubble mailer, I do EVERYTHING I can to save the mailer and reuse it. Recycles, saves money, and really, the mailer is perfectly fine to be reused. Therefore, I never cut them open. I personally just peel the tape away if there is any over the seal, or carefully pull the seal apart as best I can. Sometimes I botch it and can't reuse, but most of time, it works great. I buy nearly an equal amount as to what I sell. As a result, I don't think I've purchased a bubble mailer in the 9 months or so and probably have about 10-15 in the drawer.

I use a piece of paper across the top of the top cardhodler and then tape that to the cardholder. I hate when crappy tape is used and it cannot be peeled off the cardholder.

Use Scotch brand tape only on cardholders. Peels easy......

And OP- sorry- that is harsh. I only use knife if absolutely necessary and cut away from contents.

Last edited:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Team bag anyone?!? Solves the problem from both perspectives.

Also, I just wanted to add this... When I get a package in the mail in a bubble mailer, I do EVERYTHING I can to save the mailer and reuse it. Recycles, saves money, and really, the mailer is perfectly fine to be reused. Therefore, I never cut them open. I personally just peel the tape away if there is any over the seal, or carefully pull the seal apart as best I can. Sometimes I botch it and can't reuse, but most of time, it works great. I buy nearly an equal amount as to what I sell. As a result, I don't think I've purchased a bubble mailer in the 9 months or so and probably have about 10-15 in the drawer.

I definitely agree, but with one caveat. If it's an ebay sale I use a new envelope, since I am charging the person for shipping. I do much more trading than selling, so I might use one new envelope every few months.

I put the toploader in a team bag to prevent the card from sliding out as well.

To the OP, I would probably just deduct one from the DSR and move on. It's the seller's responsibility to do what they can to ensure the card doesn't get damaged. The fact that the damage is your fault is secondary to the fact that the card came out of toploader. If he opened it and the card was halfway out and bent, would he have a stronger reason to complain?

- Rodrick

Members online