Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What card did you always want as a kid, yet have still never owned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I thought this would compliment the other thread :)

I'm not talking the holy-grail or Mantle RC type stuff but rather realistically priced cards. For some reason or another, which have you, to this day, still never owned?

When I was like 10, the BIG card in the neighborhood was the Dale Murphy reversed negative error. They were going for over $100 which was big money back then. When we saw one at a show it was a big deal. Now, I'd still like to own one, but since the childhood aura of that card is gone, never bothered picking one up. Someday maybe.

Last edited:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I'm embarrassed to say it but '89 UD Griffey.

I refuse to buy one. I still buy packs here and there hoping to pull one.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
1984 Donruss Don Mattingly.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Elites from 91 and 92 donruss. I wasted almost every dollar I had as a kid back then trying to pull one. And to this day I still don't own any.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
Two for me are both from the time I was around 7-8-9 years old. 90 UD had just came out and Ben McDonald was not only the hot prospect, but his card was an error card! Obviously at that age, it was unobtainable to me. Although I don't remember an exact price they were going for it might as well have been one million dollars.

The other is a 90-91 Upper Deck Larry Johnson RC. I opened a couple packs at a show, pulled a Mutombo and ran out of money. That LJ card is still legendary in my mind and I still don't own one, although i bought 2 boxes of the product for peanuts a couple years ago just to try.

TGutta

May 30, 2010
Minnetonka, Minnesota
For a long time it was a Joe Mauer 02 Bowman Chrome Auto. I was lucky enough to pull a Yu Darvish Bowman Platinum Blue Refractor Auto last year and I was able to move that and finally purchase the Mauer. Next card on my list isn't one specific, but I have always wanted a Kirby Puckett auto in my collection.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
funny you guys bring up the Griffey. I did end up buying a Fleer rookie in 1991. But I bought a box of 1989 Fleer cello packs a couple of years ago because I could never pull one as a kid. Pulled two out of the box and felt vindicated even though I still had the one from childhood.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Topps Nolan Ryan rookie. Even something in PSA / BGS 5 condition.

Fleer Update Puckett rookie.

Score Update Craig Biggio rookie.

Like others, the '89 UD Griffey RC.

'91/'92 Elite, as Ken mentioned (had a Matt Williams and Griffey '91, got rid of them, I think. Would love to add more).

'92 Bowman / Fleer Update Piazza rookie.

And any Frank Thomas rare insert through '97. I unfortunately looked at what his stuff goes for now. I may have to try to obtain them (ESP the '93 Finest Refractor).

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
youngest of 8 and by the time I got into baseball, all of my older brothers didn't want their old cards.....a big "pick your own" orchard peach box.

Loved that 1976 Brooks Robinson. The colors, the pose, the cool name, the fact that he was a third baseman like my hero Mike Schmidt.

I'll grab a PSA 9 or 10 one of these days

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I feel old now! I have always wanted that 1933 Goudey Ruth card #181 with the green background.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I know its not his rookie card but I have always wanted a 1953 Topps Satchell Paige card. Just something about it I like. I may pick up a low to mid grade one someday.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Considering his RC is a SP in a tough set and he really only has 2 "real" cards, that is a reasonable choice from a financial standpoint.

I know its not his rookie card but I have always wanted a 1953 Topps Satchell Paige card. Just something about it I like. I may pick up a low to mid grade one someday.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
I started collecting around 98. The home run battle made McGwire's 85 topps rookie very appealing. Never got a hold of one and the appeal has dropped over the years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts