Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: Topps Target/Walmart/Toys R Us Red/Black/Purple/Blue/Smaragdine Parallels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
I've never minded these cards---just more parallels to chase---but this year seems kind of excessive. So far, I've counted 5 versions: red (Target), blue (Walmart), purple (Toys R Us), green and yellow. 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 only had two, and 2013 three, which seemed so much more sane. Jonny Gomes has two cards this year, which doesn't exactly help to contain the parallel craziness.

Everyone have them all? They seem to be generally available, although some are deceptively hard to find; I've been looking for a second 2010 Topps Target of Gomes seemingly forever.

jaydub

Jun 18, 2010
Arvada, CO
This year also has the 'Red Hot Foil' parallels which are a deeper red than the Target Red with a swirly pattern to them. For me I have kept to just collecting the Target Reds and Walmart Blues along with the golds and emeralds of late.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The purple Toys R Us parallels usually seem less available than the Walmart and Target parallels.

- Rodrick

I think that has a lot to do with TRU being more expensive than other retail outlets. Also, I'd imagine there are way more Walmart's and Target's than TRU's around. I mean, think about it...you'd basically be driving out of your way and paying more money per pack/blaster to get a few parallels that won't sell for much anyhow. Yes, a few player collectors might be willing to pay a bit more. But what...$5? $10? To most people, it's not worth it. Now, if TRU had a sealed factory set that was purple bordered, you'd see more people buying and breaking up the sets.

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I think that has a lot to do with TRU being more expensive than other retail outlets. Also, I'd imagine there are way more Walmart's and Target's than TRU's around. I mean, think about it...you'd basically be driving out of your way and paying more money per pack/blaster to get a few parallels that won't sell for much anyhow. Yes, a few player collectors might be willing to pay a bit more. But what...$5? $10? To most people, it's not worth it. Now, if TRU had a sealed factory set that was purple bordered, you'd see more people buying and breaking up the sets.

The TRU near me doesn't carry cards on the scale near that of Walmart or Target.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The TRU near me doesn't carry cards on the scale near that of Walmart or Target.

Same for me. They have Pokemon, Yi-Gi-Oh, and whatever Justin Beiber or One Direction cards are out, plus a little hockey, but no baseball. Target has the most baseball selection around me of the three retailers mentioned.

- Rodrick

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I believe Greens are from rack packs and Yellows are from "hanger packs", which are those boxes that are about $10. The hanger packs don't seem super abundant so I think the Yellows will be pretty tough, with Greens in between the regular Blues/Reds and the Yellows. If you're a player collector you may want to pick up a Yellow if you see it rather than waiting for a better deal.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
I believe Greens are from rack packs and Yellows are from "hanger packs", which are those boxes that are about $10. The hanger packs don't seem super abundant so I think the Yellows will be pretty tough, with Greens in between the regular Blues/Reds and the Yellows. If you're a player collector you may want to pick up a Yellow if you see it rather than waiting for a better deal.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Same for me. They have Pokemon, Yi-Gi-Oh, and whatever Justin Beiber or One Direction cards are out, plus a little hockey, but no baseball. Target has the most baseball selection around me of the three retailers mentioned.

- Rodrick

We've got a little from all sports but they don't have much. And yes, Target always has the best selection. But TRU is close to me. There aren't many left so the other nearest one is a good 25 minute drive. I know all of five in or around Houston and they are spread way out. And by Houston, I mean outer city limits. Hence why I rarely go. Especially with the price difference and lack of variety.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Yellow: Ben Revere, Johnny Cueto
Red: Choo, Altuve, CJ Wilson
Red Sparkle: Peralta, Gutierrez, Rajai Davis, Bronson Arroyo, Mike Aviles, Lambo, Medica
Camo: Buddy Boschers

2013 Update
Green Sparkle: Mike Adams, Kimbrell, Kozma, Perez, Chavez, Harper, Zunino, JoFer, Cole, Melancon, Delabar, Albers, Matt Adams, CarGo, Matt Moore, Iglesias, Mariano, Goldy, Romine, Petibone, Gillespe, izturis, Cano, Burnett, Narveson, Axelrod
Red Border: Soriano, Gregerson, Kluber, Kershaw, fried rich, Beltran, CarMart. Morton, Liriano, Hellweg, Choo, Robinson, Drew, Pedroia, Kelly, Franklin, Callaspo, Cespedes, Pierzynski, Johnson, Kimbrell, Kotchman, Nathan, Phillips, Segura, Clairborne
blue borders: Howell, Bauer, Upton, Chapman, Fielder, McCutchen, Craig, Peterson

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
The purples, yellows and greens definitely seem to be the hardest this year. Worth picking up early if possible, as they will undoubtedly become much harder to find in a month or two.

Members online

Latest posts