Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Q&A Article with Theo Chen regarding Autographs: Fakes, Jerseys, PSA/DNA, eBay...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Thanks for the post. Autos are so hard to determine authenticity unless there is a crazy "error". I think it's an impossible job to determine good or bad on autos at a extremely high rate. With cards at least there are some guidelines and some visual evidence , with IP autos one can look very different and it's a crap shoot .

Defiantly a tough market , ESP with those who aren't on the up n up

Ryan

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Sounds like a bitter dude who quotes a convicted scammer over at hauls of shame as some sort of source. Who BTW only felt there was an industry problem only until he was busted faking game used jerseys.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Sounds like a bitter dude who quotes a convicted scammer over at hauls of shame as some sort of source. Who BTW only felt there was an industry problem only until he was busted faking game used jerseys.

Not sure how you got that from the article.

Anyways, though the details are arguable, I think we all agree that autograph authenticity is very difficult, that PSA/DNA, JSA, and other authenticators have a spotty record, and that ebay and amazon rarely crack down on fakers.

To me that adds up to a marketplace that is due for a fall... it would only take one decent expose of a major authenticator to disturb the status quo... they don't even have to have bad intent (though I have seen enough collective evidence to suggest that they do favor larger submitters), they just have to make too many mistakes to be credible.

Honestly I don't even know how they are still standing after the Mastro / Wagner debacle.

Hopefully no one here is planning on sending their kids to college on the sale of authenticated autographed items.

Members online

Latest posts