Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ITG back in baseball cards w/ a replacement for stickers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
A Replacement For Sticker Autographs?

“Yeah, it’s a great autograph, but it’s on a sticker and I don’t collect sticker autographs…”

For over a decade, collectors have been saying this as they open their packs and boxes of cards. Although, there has always been a large group of collectors who despise redemption cards so much that they can appreciate the use of stickers to avoid receiving a dreaded redemption card.

But for that first group of collectors who don’t collect sticker autos, In The Game has worked diligently to bridge the gap between the pulling of “sticker” autograph and a “hard signed” or “on card” autograph.

The use of labels or stickers in many of our products was not an easy choice to make,” said In The Game President Dr. Brian Price. “However, the reality of what it takes to make trading cards forced our hand. As a longtime collector myself, I believed it was important to make collectors feel as if they were still getting value whenever they received an autograph and I think we succeeded in that mission and in ensuring that we would not be placing redemption cards in packs.”

By switching from a darker label to a lighter one several years ago, In The Game moved toward making the labels harder to spot as the label area also became integrated into designs as well. For some products, efforts were also made to embed the labels into cards – even though the process is more time-consuming and costly.

Most collectors have a great appreciation and preference for “hard “signatures. Ever-tightening schedules and other factors do not make this an easy thing to do for any maker of trading cards.

“In a product where we have longer lead times, we are able to offer on-card signatures, but we are often at the mercy of athlete schedules and have sometimes ended up with hundreds of cards that come in late and because of our “no redemption card” policy, we could not release in products.”

After numerous interactions with collectors and hours of internal discussion, Price may have come up with a solution that may help solve the issue and close the debate about hard-signed versus sticker autographs.

In a forthcoming baseball release, Past, Present and Future, In The Game is set to unveil their latest innovation – a three piece autograph card that almost seamlessly integrates the autograph into the card itself. Set to hit the market in late March, early reaction from those who have been lucky enough to see the cards in person is extremely positive and exciting.

“Once collectors are able to see and touch these cards for themselves, they can ultimately decide whether or not they can be considered as hard-signed or not. We are not going to make that designation for them,” remarked Price. “The reality is that the athlete will be signing a portion of the card directly and it will feel like any other hard-signed trading card. It will be interesting to hear what collectors will be saying and how the market will react.”

Past, Present and Future will be released in late March. Complete details about price and configuration will be available in the near future.

In the meantime, email me at [email protected] with your comments on this new way of producing autograph cards.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I'll admit it is a small step in the right direction. Their heart is in the right place. Still not on-card though.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Again, just sign a small piece of matte or something. I don't understand what the issue is. It's not on card, but it is literally the next best thing--and a nicer than a sticker.

i do not buy cards, or boxes, if there is a sticker auto insert. I would if it was on a matte or cut though.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
attachment.php

Who doesn't like some logos?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
This ITG company lost me long ago when they lied about not using sharpies on fake leather balls in their other baseball disaster. I clearly asked the rep who was here and they swore up and down they would use ball points on real leather before release, so I ordered some regretfully. The product released (and bombed) and the rep ignored my questions via PM here about my pulls being some sort of sharipe like ink (not ball point) clearly on fake leather . Over time they will look like the sweet spots fading and ink blurring in the fake leather.

PASS

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If they can't get retired players to sign in time, then maybe they need to leave them out. I imagine that one of the toughest aspects of including current players in a set would be to try to catch the better players and when a rookie or even a veteran has a surprise breakout, everyone is scrambling to get that person and the stickers follow shortly thereafter. The sticker is a way for the company to play catch up, but obviously the consumer isn't as keen on these.

It would be impossible to enforce, but redemptions should have no expiration date if a card maker is going to use that as a way to push their product out "on time". The only expiration should be the company changing ownership or bankruptcy. Maybe that would help them get the items done on time if they had to maintain stock for 5, 10 or 20 years in case someone called in their redemption after finding an unopened box in a shop later on. They advertise the hits and use that to get your money when they are trying to sell their boxes and cases, then provide no feedback or recourse when a player doesn't sign or a redemption takes forever. Hold them accountable!

If we have to live with stickers (i don't mind them too terribly, but on card are almost always better looking), do the matte style or at the very least, put the sticker on so it is straight and level! Nothing worse than a CROOKED sticker auto!

Members online

Latest posts