Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1995 Pinnacle / Score Summit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'm currently opening a box of 1995 Score Summit (from Pinnacle) and have a couple of questions.

1) what is next to "A Pinnacle Brand" box on the card back? It looks like something was printed there in a rectangular box and then a second printing to try to cover over what was written there.

2) Why does Ozzie Timmons have a Tigers foil logo on the front of his card while he is shown and the text on the back mentions chicago cubs? It appears that he never played for Detroit in his major league career. I am thinking this must be an uncorrected error as I've seen lots of scans on the web of the front of this card and they all have Tigers foil logo on the front.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
The blurred box is the proprietary code that could be read with a lenticular lens. To help prevent counterfeiting. Kinda like UD's hologram.

"An anti-counterfeit "bar code" device appears in the bottom border of each card back. A special ribbed plastic Lenticular detector card was made available that allowed the user to view the anti-counterfeit device and unscramble the coding with the word "Pinnacle" appearing. "

Here's more information than you ever wanted to know about the process

The Detroit logo is just an uncorrected error, no added value.

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Fascinating stuff [MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION]! I'm going to pick up one of those decoder cards and see if I can get a couple of photos and post it to my blog.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Maybe if we use that decoder on the new Pinacle cards we will see logos???? Sorry I had to say that.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
2 for $5.58 delivered on ebay.

$_57.JPG

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The blurred box is the proprietary code that could be read with a lenticular lens. To help prevent counterfeiting. Kinda like UD's hologram.

"An anti-counterfeit "bar code" device appears in the bottom border of each card back. A special ribbed plastic Lenticular detector card was made available that allowed the user to view the anti-counterfeit device and unscramble the coding with the word "Pinnacle" appearing. "

wow, that's awesome! Obviously Pinnacle couldn't use the hologram because it was a UD feature.

Looking at my summit cards with a jewelers loupe and trying to put the black ink segments together mentally, it looks like it might say "PBI 1995". Since I don't have the lenticular lens, I don't know if that is the result I would get wtih the lens or if it would work out to say "Pinnacle" as you stated.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
That was ultra high-end tech back in those days! It did seem silly, even at the time, the idea that someone was going through the effort to counterfeit base Pinnacle cards, but I'm sure they sold thousands of those decoders.

Haha, wouldn't it really XXXX with all the player collectors if it was discovered that there were variations in the decoded boxes? Like different copyright codes or brand IDs? I mean, I'd be screwed, what with the 8 million players I collect, but imagine the panic of discovering that every Pinnacle product could be found with 3 or 4 different messages in the little box?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Haha, wouldn't it really XXXX with all the player collectors if it was discovered that there were variations in the decoded boxes? Like different copyright codes or brand IDs? I mean, I'd be screwed, what with the 8 million players I collect, but imagine the panic of discovering that every Pinnacle product could be found with 3 or 4 different messages in the little box?

I just BIN'ed a 1993 score/pinnacle lens (thinking that the year might not make a difference and that they are all coded the same no matter if from 1993 or 1995, etc.). If the lens works on 1995, I'll check my 1995 summit cards and if I find they say different things, I'll let the FCB community know. Considering I only have 2 boxes of summit to open, it isn't a large enough sample size to find variations if the variations might be reasonable SP instead of easier to find variations.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
My goodness, the havoc that would occur if cards had different hidden codes, especially on junior, Rickey, Ryan and Clark.

And those decoders? Might as well be gold bars.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Codes didn't change. The lens are kind of a disappointment when you get them in hand. I thought it would be cool to look at the codes a few years ago, a member sent me one of the lens, and I was underwhelmed with the experience. But have fun, it's a unique part of 90's history.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
the "authenticator" lens came today.

Here's a scan of two of my summit cards - one with the lens in place, one without:

1995 summit lens.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts