Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

C.C. Sabathia for CY Young

Who deserves CY Young?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
I am a Mets fan, and I am saying he deserves it all. I am not a biased person at all, and this is my opinion. As big of a fan I am of Tim, Sabathia basically pitched the final two weeks on three days rest, and took the Brewers to the playoffs.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sabathia should win it. No offense to Lincecum, but the games he has pitched in, don't mean jack.

Your opinion? Please provide an explanation as to why you chose, who you chose.

Nick1190

Banned
Aug 7, 2008
Nick1190 said:
I am a Mets fan, and I am saying he deserves it all. I am not a biased person at all, and this is my opinion. As big of a fan I am of Tim, Sabathia basically pitched the final two weeks on three days rest, and took the Brewers to the playoffs.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sabathia should win it. No offense to Lincecum, but the games he has pitched in, don't mean jack.

Edit: Ivoted for Johan in the poll, I meant to choose C.C.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I think the more appropriate poll would be C.C. Sabathia for MVP!

Truly. This guy has come up huge on short rest. He has never complained but rather volunteered to do so for a team that he isn't going back to. This is a complete professional.

He has also meant the MOST to his team in the second half. More than Ryan Howard.

I think he'll eventually get robbed on both, but this season is one to remember for a long time.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Johan. More innings, lower ERA, 2nd in SO; add in the fact that he also got many of his wins blown by the Mets horrible bullpen, and I think you give it to him. Also count the fact that he pitched nearly flawlessly down the stretch (every game he pitched was a must win), while Lincecum struggled pitching meaningless games down the stretch.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Nick1190 said:

CC Sabathia can duke it out with Pujols for the MVP award. That's what you're thinking of.

The Cy Young is typically given on the basis of numbers alone. How well the team is doing and that other stuff generally factors in very little. Sabathia was having a subpar year before getting traded. He's been amazing since then obviously but you don't give Cy Young awards for good performance in 60% of the season.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
fengzhang said:
Nick1190 said:

CC Sabathia can duke it out with Pujols for the MVP award. That's what you're thinking of.

The Cy Young is typically given on the basis of numbers alone. How well the team is doing and that other stuff generally factors in very little. Sabathia was having a subpar year before getting traded. He's been amazing since then obviously but you don't give Cy Young awards for good performance in 60% of the season.

I'm sorry. But Sabathia's won-loss record was subpar before he was traded. He still stands in second place in the AL for complete games and shutouts.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
sheetskout said:
fengzhang said:
Nick1190 said:

I'm sorry. But Sabathia's won-loss record was subpar before he was traded. He still stands in second place in the AL for complete games and shutouts.

And you think complete games and shutouts matter more than ERA and wins? Sabathia was under .500 with a 3.9 ERA when he was traded. That's subpar for him.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
If you want cc for CY then why not Manny for MVP. cc just doesn't deserve it for a partial year in the league. He was great but just like Manny, doesn't get it for only doing it part of the year.

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Bigfan5 said:
If you want cc for CY then why not Manny for MVP. cc just doesn't deserve it for a partial year in the league. He was great but just like Manny, doesn't get it for only doing it part of the year.

Good point. Both players were lackluster before being traded to contending teams. MVP and Cy Young should be rewarded for players who are able to play at a high level year round, no matter the team they're on. You don't get to win prestigous awards by sleepwalking through half the season before turning it on once you're traded.

MVP goes to Pujols. Cy Young goes to either Santana or Lincecum.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
soccerman034 said:
Johan. More innings, lower ERA, 2nd in SO; add in the fact that he also got many of his wins blown by the Mets horrible bullpen, and I think you give it to him. Also count the fact that he pitched nearly flawlessly down the stretch (every game he pitched was a must win), while Lincecum struggled pitching meaningless games down the stretch.

My thoughts more or less.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
fengzhang said:
sheetskout said:
fengzhang said:
Nick1190 said:

And you think complete games and shutouts matter more than ERA and wins? Sabathia was under .500 with a 3.9 ERA when he was traded. That's subpar for him.

But that's not what you implied. For himself, maybe. A 3.9 ERA in the AL is stellar lets not forget.

Wes

OG
Administrator
soccerman034 said:

LOL! Struggled? He took one loss where he threw a complete game and only lost because two runs scored because we had an infielder playing left field and he tried to jump for a ball instead of running backwards. Even with that he went 8 innings 3 earned. Wouldn't call that struggling.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
His last start he allowed 6 ER in 4 innings. In the start before that, he allowed 3 ER which is sub par for him at this point. 2 stars earlier, he allowed 5 ER in 5 IP. Aside from the shut out, he has been struggling, which is why Johan passed him in ERA.

Wes

OG
Administrator
soccerman034 said:
His last start he allowed 6 ER in 4 innings. In the start before that, he allowed 3 ER which is sub par for him at this point. 2 stars earlier, he allowed 5 ER in 5 IP. Aside from the shut out, he has been struggling, which is why Johan passed him in ERA.

LOL do you even watch baseball or do you just quote statlines? 8 innings pitched and 3 earned runs where two score on a defensive mistake with two outs in the last two innings is NOT struggling.

You say two starts earlier he allowed 5 ER in 5 IP YET YOU COMPLETELY IGNORE the two starts in between where he threw a complete game shutout and went 8 1/3 IP with 1 ER! If a three start stretch where you go 2-0 with a 2.41 ERA and 27 K's is struggling then I hope I struggle on the mound this year! He got passed because Johan dominated, no doubt, but he hardly struggled.

Members online

Latest posts