Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Meet Bryce Harper, Version 2.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Man, is he jacked now. You better buy his Girl Scout cookies, or else.

HarperJacked.jpg

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
That's a great pic man! I "stole" it on FB to share with my daughter's GS leaders. You should send it to their National HQ. :cool:

BTW, I still think he's gonna have a MONSTER season...

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I'm in the mood for girl Scout cookies for some reason.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
ANNOUNCER:

During the ADAA-approved random drug screening, one of your players tested positive for three separate types of anabolic steroids, and a low-grade beaver tranquilizer. Therefore, Troop 417 is disqualified.

GIRL SCOUT

God damn you, Bryce! [throws her cap at a large, well-built girl scout with a moustache and hairy arms]

Bryce
[begins crying in a deep voice]

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
wow, Harper now looks like a candidate to be frequent visitor to the DL!

You can't help but wonder if the muscles and otherwise being jacked will be hard or stressful on his back, his tendons and joints, his hamstrings, etc. leading him to frequent DL appearancse because his body can't handle his strength.

I'm also thinking the same with Puig - is he too big and strong that his body can't handle it? (even though it just looks like back soreness with him tonight).

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have to say I don't like it. Is becoming musclebound really conducive to baseball? Or is he planning to attend the NFL combine?

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks he doesn't look all that big?

I agree with you. He doesn't look roider big. Nothing like big mac, not even close. It's a totally different muscle. He looks pumped and ripped. Like he just got done working out.
The way his body is shaped now, is more like trouts(RB type). Harper looks more like a little smaller, natural body builder He looks good At his size, I don't think he will be tight and
muscle bound. Reuben Seirre was an example. He used PEDS to get huge and the career was over. Harper isn't in the same boat.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
wow, Harper now looks like a candidate to be frequent visitor to the DL!

You can't help but wonder if the muscles and otherwise being jacked will be hard or stressful on his back, his tendons and joints, his hamstrings, etc. leading him to frequent DL appearancse because his body can't handle his strength.

I'm also thinking the same with Puig - is he too big and strong that his body can't handle it? (even though it just looks like back soreness with him tonight).

I'm not quite sure I get your logic here. I would think being muscular would have the opposite effect on the tendons, hamstrings and back and make them stronger instead of weaker or more susceptable to injury. Also his body's way of handling his strength is by building muscle, which he's obviously done a good job at so I doubt that's a concern. Now if you want to talk about losing speed and quickness I wouldn't argue...those seem like bigger concerns to me.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'm not quite sure I get your logic here. I would think being muscular would have the opposite effect on the tendons, hamstrings and back and make them stronger instead of weaker or more susceptable to injury.

With muscles, you have more strength and torque. I know you can bulk up the muscles for strength, but can the tendons, ligaments, back discs, etc. also be bulked up to be strong enough to handle the stresses and torques? I don't have any proof or phd in phsyiology -- just the viewpoint of a fan -- but I don't think it's far fetched to think a lot of injuries in the MLB today are because the human body was not designed to withstand the extra stresses and torques that being extra strong puts on the body.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
OK I see what you're saying. Essentially you're asking if it's possible to put the body of a F-250 on the frame of a Ranger and it work fine. I understand. Being a pretty big weightlifting nut myself I tend to think his body can handle the extra muscle easily however I'm just a farmer so i'm not putting my body through these weird situations and unusual positions like he is. I have found myself with FAR FAR fewer aches and pains in my back and joints especially since i've put on 25 lbs of muscle. I imagine every body reacts differently though but you certainly have a valid point.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Using PEDS to bulk up and put on muscle, is what leads to all the joint problems. Ped's make you bigger than you were naturally meant to be and the body wasn't meant to handle it. It's why many PED users end up with bad knees, early on.
Working out naturally, you can only get so big. As long as he is adding cardio and stretching, there is no reason to believe, he isn't in the best all around shape of his life. And again, this pic is a little misleading. He is cut and pumped, not Big Mac or Canseco size. Totally different shape, muscle, and problems.

I grew up in the same town that Mark and Jose lived in while playing for the A's. Dave Henderson was a neighbor. Jose and Mark were twice the size of Bryce right now. They were built like WWE guys. Bryce is built more like Adrian Peterson.
As long at he is stretching, he should be fine. The rest is up to his DNA. Are you injury prone or not and can you stop running into walls.