Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Crossed a huge Topps test issue off my Gary Carter PC list today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kid4hof03

Jan 10, 2014
Burlington, NJ
Today I received one of the last items I have been missing for my Gary Carter PC. 1988 Topps test issue doubleheaders, the 1989 Mets/Yankees set is hard enough to find but this one has been nearly impossible for me. Sorry for the bad scan, shows the "card" and the wrapper

1988 Gary Carter doubleheaders.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Does it say test issue? How can you tell the difference between a regular issue?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Awesome pickup, Abe!

I like how the wrapper says Mets and Yankees, yet it pictures Carter with the Expos. Topps' ineptitude goes way back

Kid4hof03

Jan 10, 2014
Burlington, NJ
There was not a set of these released in 1988. According to the standard catalog, 4 "proofs" were prepared from the Yankees and the Mets: Carter, Darling, Strawberry, Gooden, Henderson, Mattingly, Righetti and Winfield. They were never released. When the "test" set was released in 1989 they showed the players rookie with a 1989 topps card on the reverse rather than a 1988. The 1989 was considered a "test issue" because it was only released in the New York area, not nationwide.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Ohh, I see. I was a year off. It's cool you have the wrapper with Carter as well. I just watched a Youtube video of a Gary Carter signing. The guy videoing was such a jerk to Carter. RIP Gary. Abe good stuff man!

Latest posts