Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps 3D Live cards - Do they really look like 3D virtual holograms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just saw a blog about the 2009 Topps 3D Live cards and remember the advertisement with the virtual player images that appear to stand in your hand or on a table, by using a web cam.

I guess they were inserts in regular Topps packs?

Do any of you have any of these, and do they work? Are they cool?

Check out this video:

And here are some images.

Topps3DLive.png

Last edited:

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I have an app for the history show Vikings, when you scan a QR code the character pops 3d like that on your camera (in the phone, not out of the phone like in the picture)
And you are supposed to be able to pose for photos with it. I've only played with it a little, but it seems similar to this concept

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Supposedly it's the one per pack (or close to it) ToppsTown cards that are worth nothing. There's a code on the back, but who knows.

I've never known anyone to test the technology...nor seen anything other than company PR for them.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember this video from somewhere. This guy was telling me how these cards make a little guy appear on your table like Princess Leia asking Obi-Wan for help in Star Wars. I told him that would be cool, but he was dopey.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Just in case some people aren't quite grasping the concept, the characters don't actually show up in front of you, hovering over they card, they are only supposed to show up in the webcam image on the screen of your computer. Basically it is supposed to be digitally added to the image. It's not supposed to be some kind of projection from the surface of the card, despite what the videos and images seem to imply.

I thought it was a neat idea, but like every other "digital" gimmick the card companies have produced in the last 15 years, they abandon it almost as soon as it hits the streets.

Members online

Latest posts