Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another eBay problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It just never ends!

I've basically stopped selling on there but once a blue moon I pick up something that should be listed.

I shipped a card with delivery confirm a few weeks back and buyer files he didn't get it.

I track it and it reads that it's still out for shipping DESPITE listing the due date at Feb 24

Has this ever happened to anyone here?

Am I right to assume that I'm XXXXed even though I did everything correct?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Ask the buyer to call the PO and give them the tracking # and look for it. All kinds of weird stuff happens in the sorting rooms it seems.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
At the end of the day, and I feel you obviously know this is true already, the seller is responsible for making sure the item arrives in a safe and timely manor. It sucks that the services you used have failed you, but it is not the buyers fault. Expecting him to help or understand is not practical. You can ask for his assistance but should not expect it. I would try and communicate with the buyer explaining the situation and see if he is receptive to understanding and patience, but if not, I would refund and hope that if and when it shows up that he would do the right thing too.

Edit to add, yes... sometimes you can do everything right and still be on the short end.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
I had a few packages arrive almost two weeks after the "estimated delivery" date. They all came from states affected by the icy weather. Pretty sure there's delays when shipping there also.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
Ive had an item get delivered 3 months after I sent it...
The buyer let me know he received it and on the packaged was stamped, was in a supposed empty mail bag.
sometimes they get stuck in the mail bag and the bag doesnt get used for a while and when it is used again, it gets delivered

Hope it works out, just explain to the buyer that you shipped it and it is in transit, and hope he/she has patience

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
It just never ends!

I've basically stopped selling on there but once a blue moon I pick up something that should be listed.

I shipped a card with delivery confirm a few weeks back and buyer files he didn't get it.

I track it and it reads that it's still out for shipping DESPITE listing the due date at Feb 24

Has this ever happened to anyone here?

Am I right to assume that I'm XXXXed even though I did everything correct?

What you didnt do correctly was purchase INSURANCE

If you want to protect yourself against LOST items, you need to purchase insurance

https://www.usps.com/ship/file-domestic-claims.htm

So to answer your question, yes you are XXXXED! Hope it wasnt too valuable.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Guy said he'll wait a few more days.

I'm XXXXed either way because if he doesn't get it, he'll file and win.

If somehow I win, he no doubt will leave me a neg and that'll totally kill my feedback since I barely sell.

I called eBay last night and basically knew everything she was going to say.

Well no matter what happens, I'm done with them. Good riddance.

So whenever I get an "internet only worthy" card, it'll be posted on here first and then blow out as a "quick sale" well under eBay completed sales.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Guy said he'll wait a few more days.

I'm XXXXed either way because if he doesn't get it, he'll file and win.

If somehow I win, he no doubt will leave me a neg and that'll totally kill my feedback since I barely sell.

I called eBay last night and basically knew everything she was going to say.

Well no matter what happens, I'm done with them. Good riddance.

So whenever I get an "internet only worthy" card, it'll be posted on here first and then blow out as a "quick sale" well under eBay completed sales.

I dont get your rant.

You are the seller, it is your responsibility to get your item to your buyer, no matter the means
If you were on the otherside of the coin, that you bought something and it didnt arrive to you, you wouldnt eat that loss, you would follow the same steps your buyer has every right too
You hired the USPS to deliver your item to your buyer, if you wanted to protect against loss, you should have bought insurance
It is not your buyers fault the USPS lost the item they bought, it is not your fault either
The only faults are the USPS for losing it and you not buying insurance
You shouldnt be pissed at eBay, you should be pissed at the USPS and yourself

Jun 30, 2010
I dont get your rant.

You are the seller, it is your responsibility to get your item to your buyer, no matter the means
If you were on the otherside of the coin, that you bought something and it didnt arrive to you, you wouldnt eat that loss, you would follow the same steps your buyer has every right too
You hired the USPS to deliver your item to your buyer, if you wanted to protect against loss, you should have bought insurance
It is not your buyers fault the USPS lost the item they bought, it is not your fault either
The only faults are the USPS for losing it and you not buying insurance
You shouldnt be pissed at eBay, you should be pissed at the USPS and yourself

Absolutely 100% correct!!!

This is not an Ebay issue at all. They provided a means for you to sell your product and you sold it. Just because YOU didn't take the proper step to protect yourself has nothing to do with Ebay. Yes, be a bit upset with the Post Office for not providing the service you paid for. However, be more mad at yourself for not taking the necessary precautions( insurance) when the service you paid for fails you. That is what the insurance is for( Just as we are all not perfect, neither is the Post Office)

Bryan

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I look at it differently.

For the past two weeks, my usual ups driver has been away, so there's been a new driver every day.

And nearly every time I have had a delivery there's been a problem getting it because either he didn't read the label right, understand where leave it, etc.

Do I call my distributors and bother them? No, every time I call ups and go through the typical song and dance routine with the 800 number center and then with the local center.

That's my responsibility. My distributors did theirs.

And that's what eBay should be.

Buyer doesn't get it even though the seller did everything mandated by eBay? It should be up to the BUYER to deal with usps.

I've got enough headaches in my life and after thinking about it, I don't care anymore about this issue.

Thankfully I rarely sell on there anyway so it won't bother me financially the least.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Not that my two cents mean much but I get where the OP and the buyer are coming from. For one, a buyer only has so much time to file a claim. I have had to file claims before simply because time was running out. Even if the item was still in "transit". As a buyer, there is no way I'm paying for an item and not getting it. I either want my item or my money back. But with time limits, my hand may be forced.

As a seller, you can only do so much to protect yourself. Even if the OP had purchased insurance, do they pay out on a claim for an item that hasn't even been delivered yet and is still in transit? Doubtful is my guess. So even had he purchased insurance, then what? What if this thing is in transit for months? I've received packages three months late so I know it happens. Can he even file? And that's not even considering the fact that it may eventually get delivered, the buyer has already won the claim and now has the card in his hands for free, and the OP has to hope like hell the buyer is honest enough to send him the money again. Because I so seriously doubt the PO is going to allow the claim on a lost item that's been delivered, just not in ebay's allowable time window. As far as the UPS is concerned, they did their job, albeit slowly.

So I think it's safe to say this is a loophole that needs to be closed. First off, the idea that you should even have to buy insurance for anything handled by anybody, post office or not, is ridiculous. It's their job to ensure safe delivery. Why any of us should pay them extra to do their job correctly is beyond me. Secondly, in a case such as this, the time window should be extended for the buyer and seller to make claims and no claim should be able to be filed unless the tracking number says "delivered". Otherwise, like I said above, the seller has everything to lose and the buyer has everything to gain. Simple fix on ebay's part. And the PO should just do their due diligence. No they aren't perfect but just like anything else, you need to be responsible if you lose or destroy something.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
A year or two ago, I sold a xander chrome auto ref for ~$150. I have no idea what happened to it, but it wasn't delivered. I sent the buyer another one.

These things happen and are rare. I take my chances with the USPS every time and when items don't arrive, I know I have to eat the cost. Considering how cheap shipping is anyway, I don't really have an issue with the process.

On the other hand, the first time I had an ebay purchase go missing I ate the cost. I really believe the seller's responsibility is to ship the item. However, I now realize that's not how ebay works and have gotten my item/refund whenever this has happened since and vice versa.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
As a seller, imho, my job and responsibilities are listing the item correctly, honestly and if questions asked, answer truthfully.

As for shipping, my job and responsibilities are using a bubble, dc, securely packing and protection of the card and mailing it off.

In other words, everything that should be done is done professionally and according to eBay "rules" and common sense (like don't wrap it toilet paper!)

Once the above is done, that's it. I did my part to the fullest. My part is done.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
As a seller, imho, my job and responsibilities are listing the item correctly, honestly and if questions asked, answer truthfully.

As for shipping, my job and responsibilities are using a bubble, dc, securely packing and protection of the card and mailing it off.

In other words, everything that should be done is done professionally and according to eBay "rules" and common sense (like don't wrap it toilet paper!)

Once the above is done, that's it. I did my part to the fullest. My part is done.

Just a honest question.

Lets say you purchase something, they do all that you require of a 'honest' seller, but you still never get the item. Are you satisfied being out the money and item as long as the seller 'did all he could' as you stated above, or would you expect the item or a refund?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Just a honest question.

Lets say you purchase something, they do all that you require of a 'honest' seller, but you still never get the item. Are you satisfied being out the money and item as long as the seller 'did all he could' as you stated above, or would you expect the item or a refund?

It's on ME to fight with carrier if I'm the buyer. As long as the seller was totally legit and did everything correct, why is it his fault?

If the po or ups screwed the pooch on my package I bought, it's my responsibility as the buyer to go after the carrier, not seller. The seller shouldn't have to eat it, it's not their responsibility period.

Jun 30, 2010

This is where the problem is. You are not done!!!

This is not about doing all the honest things that a seller should do, then wipe your hands and say" I'm done." It is about who is responsible when there is a problem. Ultimately, a buyer makes a contract with the seller to purchase and item and get it delivered to him. It is up to the seller to get the item to buyer; whether it is by UPS,USPS, Fed EX or Bo and Bubba's delivery service. The seller, in essence makes an agreement with delivery service to get item to buyer. Just because item doesn't get there doesn't alleviate the seller from the ultimate responsibility... and expecting the buyer to take care of the problem or blame Ebay or anyone else is just plain foolish.

And, the company that you entrusted with to deliver your package offers as an insurance to you; for your protection, a service for a few extra bucks, that they will pay you an amount equal to the value of the item you insure. I think that we all can agree that the company you hire to deliver your product SHOULD deliver it. But, who is responsible when they don't......Unfortunately seller, you are....

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
It's on ME to fight with carrier if I'm the buyer. As long as the seller was totally legit and did everything correct, why is it his fault?

If the po or ups screwed the pooch on my package I bought, it's my responsibility as the buyer to go after the carrier, not seller. The seller shouldn't have to eat it, it's not their responsibility period.

Lol, I love how you end your opinion with "period" as if that makes your statement more akin to a fact rather then a flawed viewpoint. I have always sold with the notion that it is my responsibility as a seller to get the package in to the buyers hands, regardless of what happens in-between or who's fault it is. The only fact is that it is certainly NOT the buyers fault. Every decent seller I know also lives buy that notion for the sake of their reputation of a decent seller. Your opinion on this matter, if I may be so bold, is only because that is the side of the fence you fall on. In fact, I would never buy from you knowing this is your philosophy, one that includes a potential loop hole leaving the buyer out of pocket while you wash your hands clean.

In the end, I am not really even trying to argue with you, I see and understand your point of contention, but obviously disagree. And that's OK, we can agree to disagree. Your stance here will never affect me anyway.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Card was like $60 which cost me less than $5.

And yes, something like this did happen to me but with a $100 necklace several years back.

The store did their job and my problem was with ups with whom I dealt with.

Jun 30, 2010
Card was like $60 which cost me less than $5.

And yes, something like this did happen to me but with a $100 necklace several years back.

The store did their job and my problem was with ups with whom I dealt with.

The way I see it. This is not the way any reputable selling business should operate.

What you are basically saying is this: Buy my product, I will get it to the PO and if it doesn't get to you then you have to deal with the PO yourself. I got my money from you, it is the Post Office's fault, Ebay won't back me up, so I won't let go of a dime of your money for the product you didn't receive....

Once again: You blew it by NOT insuring. So YOU did not protect yourself and are essentially telling your own buyers this..BUYER BEWARE

Members online