Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Sunday March 9 2014 Today...you make the caption for this photo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Someone mentioned in the photo of the day thread yesterday that I should leave off information regarding the photo I post and let everyone here add their own thoughts to the photo. Today, I will be doing that. It is up to you all to add your thoughts on this photo and identify who the participants are. I think one is fairly obvious and the other should be as well but that is up to you guys.

I will add my comments later today but I am curious what you all will say about this one.

I hope you enjoy today's photo of the day!

cobb_zps98141766.jpg

jeff_bichel

Nov 4, 2010
Houston, Texas
I do believe that is Ty Cobb and Shoeless Joe Jackson. and the bats appear to be homemade. Shoeless is not carrying Black Betsy...

Last edited:

mchenrycards

I do believe that is Ty Cobb and Shoeless Joe Jackson. and the bats appear to be homemade. Shoeless is not carrying Black Betsy...

You are right in that this is Ty Cobb with Joe Jackson and the year would be 1913. Jackson was indeed with Cleveland at this time and the bats, well I dont know if they were home made but they could have been.

What struck me about this photo was the uniforms. Jackson's uni is dirty and well worn where Cobbs is pristine. Cobb also has a sun collar on his jersey which, I am sure was great in the spring and fall but had to be crazy hot in the summer. These uniforms were also wool and had to be itchy and hot during the summer months. I remember reading one old ball player saying those jerseys would get loaded with sweat and would be very heavy by the end of the game. And lets not even mention those dark, wool socks these guys are wearing.

What also struck me was the fact the belt buckles (at least on Cobb) are to the side and not in front. This was normal for players of this era and one can anly assume this was because the buckle would not dig into the dirt of a headfirst slide was required.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Cobb is looking down and saying "This is the first time I've seen you with your shoes on!"
DANNY

mchenrycards

Does anyone else notice how baggy Ty Cobb's pants look?

Thats actually one of the first things I noticed. It reminded me of this photo take just a few years after this one with Joe Jackson. This military photo taken during the 1st World War pictures him with Giant great Christy Mathewson and it appears Cobb like his pants a certain way. Baseball uniform or military uniform....it didnt seem to matter.

1cobbmathewson_zps1ee71c10.jpg

Members online

Latest posts