Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Testing Canoscan 9000F

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Anyone have any tips or tricks for this scanner. I've been messing with it for a few hours, and am a little overwhelmed.

300 dpi using photobucket 640x480
something2.jpg

600 dpi using photobucket 640x480
something.jpg

600 dpi photobucket 1024x768
something2-1.jpg

600 dpi toploader vs. no top loader photobucket 640x480
IMG_20140309_0002.jpg
phegley2.jpg

600 dpi photobucket 1024*760

IMG_20140309_0002-1.jpg
phegley2-1.jpg

Uploaded from my website, no photobucket

300 dpi
2901900_orig.jpg

600 dpi
6584170_orig.jpg

600 dpi toploader
3777624_orig.jpg

300 dpi
8883571_orig.jpg

600 dpi
9511897_orig.jpg

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
For my 9000F I use VueScan software which is quite nice. I scan at 300 dpi and use auto save from Scan. Light grain reduction, Sharpen, and 100% JPEG output. File size is usually 1 MB and look great.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
For my 9000F I use VueScan software which is quite nice. I scan at 300 dpi and use auto save from Scan. Light grain reduction, Sharpen, and 100% JPEG output. File size is usually 1 MB and look great.

I'll definitely check it out. I'm still playing with auto settings on the software it came with. Here are some more examples.

Hitting autoscan on the machine
9009393_orig.jpg

With fade correction
6760240_orig.jpg

with backlight correction
8363876_orig.jpg

with both
9944257_orig.jpg

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Damn. Guess the cat's out of the bag about the scanner!

I use the default settings, mostly because I am 100% scanner ignorant. 95% of the time, it turns out exactly how I want it anyway, but can anyone point me in the right direction for how to do the backlight correction, fade correction, brightness/contrast adjusting, etc.? I have photoshop that I use for extreme cases, but I don't want to have to go through the process of opening the program, opening the file and editing it there every time I want to scan a base chrome auto (base almost always scan way too dark)

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis

I use the default settings, mostly because I am 100% scanner ignorant. 95% of the time, it turns out exactly how I want it anyway, but can anyone point me in the right direction for how to do the backlight correction, fade correction, brightness/contrast adjusting, etc.? I have photoshop that I use for extreme cases, but I don't want to have to go through the process of opening the program, opening the file and editing it there every time I want to scan a base chrome auto (base almost always scan way too dark)

It should have come with a program called IJ Scan Utility. Then once that is open the option on the right is ScanGear.

That open into the settings

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I've had this scanner for close to a year, and to be honest, I never even gave the built in software a glance until now. I've been using Instant Photo Scanner in an XP Mode window because I've been more concerned with quantity than quality, but I thought I would give it a shot. I typically scan at 600dpi and resize down to 1000 pixels on the longest size. The 600dpi seems to get me the smoothest image and does a lot to cut down on weird moire patterns on cheaply produced cards.

Here is a 1999 Topps Chrome, first with Instant Photo Scanner. I don't really know how to compare the settings as it doesn't have as many options as the stock software:

Image_06635.jpg

And this is the same card using the Canon MP Navigator EX software that shipped with it, with Backlight Correction and Fading Correction both set to low with the Unsharp Mask on:

IMG.jpg

I'm not sure there's much more that can be done to scan such a mirror surface as this set has, especially around the border.

I'd never really tried out the slide scanning attachment, so here are three slides I picked up on eBay recently (the Winfield is pretty old, so some age spots are apparent). The scanner defaulted to 1200dpi for these and I set the Fading Correction to High.

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG-0000.jpg

Last edited:

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Slightly off topic: Is there a tougher card to scan than the 93 SP Jeter?

No. There is no card made that is as difficult to scan as the 93 SP Foils. No matter what you do, they always look 100X worse when scanned.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis

After all of that testing, I've found that the default setting (with AUTOMASK: ON) is the best setting. Using any of the other filters makes the card stand out too much from the rest of my other scans. For slabs, on some of them you do have to play around a little with the settings.

Next problem/question.

How do I get the autocrop to work? It is really hit or miss right now with a single card whether or not it automatically crops it. If I have more than one card, it does no cropping whatsoever. Has to be some way to save some time. Anyone care to chime in?

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
How do I get the autocrop to work? It is really hit or miss right now with a single card whether or not it automatically crops it. If I have more than one card, it does no cropping whatsoever. Has to be some way to save some time. Anyone care to chime in?

My solution is just to use different software for the most part. Also, if you're scanning a bunch of similar bordered cards, pick a background that contracts well and you'll get better edge detection. Lid open for white borders, lid closed for dark borders. Sometimes just picking a color that none of the cards have (like bright green or purple), and put a piece of that colored paper over the cards works well.

I really wish I could fine some scanner software that just let you run a preview, then choose the background color and have it detect the cards against that. I suggested that to the guy who makes RansenScan, but he didn't seem to understand what I was asking for. Basically if you want better results, you almost have to abandon the stock software and buy something commercial.

Members online

Latest posts