Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Leaf Fractal Matrix Die Cuts???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Hey guys I recently picked up a 97 Leaf fractal matrix die cut z-axis. I looked them up on baseballcardpedia and it says there are only 100 copies of each die cut z-axis produced. Is this correct? It seems like these cards should be selling for way more than they do? Maybe I am missing something here, let me know if you have any info on these and if they are /100. Thanks

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Well, from your post I don't know who you picked up or how much you paid, so can't really comment on your assertation they are selling too low.

I can tell you lack of serial numbering on these hurts value. It was a low print run for the time and they would be in greater demand if the print run was obvious. Certainly the Z-Axis cards from 1998, which are serial numbered, are in greater demand.

97LEAFGAMERSMATRIXDC.jpg

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Hey guys I recently picked up a 97 Leaf fractal matrix die cut z-axis. I looked them up on baseballcardpedia and it says there are only 100 copies of each die cut z-axis produced. Is this correct? It seems like these cards should be selling for way more than they do? Maybe I am missing something here, let me know if you have any info on these and if they are /100. Thanks

They supposedly are out of 100. Without serial #s it's impossible to truly know. The entire set is confusing to collectors because most don't know the differences between the die cut / non die cut versions per card. These are reasons why they don't sell for much.

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Ok well I paid 1.50 for a lofton and there are 2 more up for sale under $2. That is pretty darn low. To counter this, I checked out comc and we'll use Greg Maddux for example, there have been 20 completed sales of the die cut z-axis for under $4 bucks. I Find it hard to believe that out of 100 cards 20 have been sold on comc. Seems like there are a lot more out there than 100.

Last edited:

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Confusion. Lack of serial numbering and Beckett screwing up the multipliers for the last decade making non die-cuts appear more rare for most variations. All contributing factors. Also, why I decided to put this set together!

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
As for print runs, I can confirm (from July '97 Beckett) that initial reports at release supported baseballcardpedia's print run breakdown. Never confirmed but then carried forward to 1998 release and officially stated.

As for the glut of Maddux on COMC, they were all from one seller who had a bulk collection of multiple players. I know, because I bought most of them.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Here's the Series 1 Gold- XYZ (400/200/100). Still missing 6 golds from Series 2 and slowly piecing together the Bronze and Silver Z-Axis' only. I'd love to improve the cut on that Larkin but everyone I find is cut like that.

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for all the info and that set looks awesome put together! I really do look the like of these cards, I may have to go ahead and grab some more.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Major, major pickup this morning for my PC. This card is an absolute G-H-O-S-T. I had never seen it. I had been stuck on needing 4 more Z-Axis Die-Cuts to complete the Gold X/Y/Z set - for, I believe, close to 2 years now. I thought this would be the last one I'd be able to track down with the overseas factor. Of my remaining four needs, the only one I'd seen pop up was Sandberg (#205 GZ) which was slabbed PSA 10 and went for well over $100. Other needs include Roger Clemens (#208 GZ) and Rondell White (#242 GZ).

1997 Leaf Die-Cut Fractal Matrix #360 - Hideo Nomo
Courtesy of COMC.com

Given how some of these cards never surface, even for well known names, I'm beginning to believe that initial first-hand reports and publications about the print runs (identical to '98) were correct. The kicker has always been how many copies are floating for certain star players: Maddux, Bonds, Thomas etc. I'm wondering if stacks of certain names were backdoored to dealers in the frenzy.

The set (Series 1 & 2), waiting for Nomo's arrival:

Series1A.jpg

Series1B.jpg

Series1C.jpg

Series1D.jpg

Series1_2E.jpg

Series2F.jpg

Series2G.jpg

Series2H.jpg

Series2I.jpg

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I'm fairly certain almost all 1997/1998/1999 Hideo Nomo rare cards are long gone to Japan in private collections. There are quite a few Nomos I need from these years and they never show up in auction or on ComC.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Or just Dodger collectors.

I doubt I have anything exciting for Nomo, at least nothing that I can remember, but all Dodgers I obtained back in the day are all still in my possession.

I'm fairly certain almost all 1997/1998/1999 Hideo Nomo rare cards are long gone to Japan in private collections. There are quite a few Nomos I need from these years and they never show up in auction or on ComC.

Members online

Latest posts