Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Olerud Pink Background Border

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
So this is kind of an obscure question, but I am curious about an Olerud card I saw on this sheet. Perhaps @olerud363 or another Olerud collector has it. The image I grabbed is a sheet of 21 cards. 1990 Sport Stars Elite I had 10 cards with a orange border and a silver frame while the 1990 Sport Stars Elite II set had 10 cards with a purple border and blue frame. The sheet has three rows of seven so it looks like they added an Olerud card in the upper right-hand corner with a pink background. Do you own the card and if so can I see a scan of it?

$_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

olerudfan

Aug 7, 2008
Arizona
Here you go:

Hot Rookie:
Front:
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1394855896.599256.jpg

Back:
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1394855926.020944.jpg

There is also this one that has blue border grand slam with the same pic
That seems to be from a dice game:
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1394855981.954865.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1394855991.711331.jpg

Last edited:

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Here you go:

Hot Rookie:
Front:
View attachment 32529

Back:
View attachment 32530

There is also this one that has blue border grand slam with the same pic
That seems to be from a dice game:
View attachment 32531
View attachment 32532

So it looks nothing like the 1990 Sports Stars Elite I and II. I guess they had one open spot on the sheet so they just threw it on there. I'm going to call it a 1990 Sport Stars Elite Bonus Card. Do you mind if I use the scans?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for providing the real name for that issue! I've had it listed just as "1990 Hot Rookie". There is also a version that is neon orange instead of pink.

When scanned it looks kind of pink, making it tricky for to know which version you're looking at.
1990HotRookieNNO_zpse68d1b9c.jpg

Here's a photo of my orange version that clearly displays the neon orange goodness. :)
1394912447260.jpg

- Rodrick

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Thanks for providing the real name for that issue! I've had it listed just as "1990 Hot Rookie". There is also a version that is neon orange instead of pink.

When scanned it looks kind of pink, making it tricky for to know which version you're looking at.
1990HotRookieNNO_zpse68d1b9c.jpg

Here's a photo of my orange version that clearly displays the neon orange goodness. :)
View attachment 32545

- Rodrick

Orange? Hmmm. When I saw the eBay listing, there were two sheets, one was normal and the other was missing the names. The Olerud on the missing names sheets had no color, it was just black and white. Happy hunting!

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I sold so many of these Broder cards in the late 80's early 90's that when they tried to removes backgrounds and you end up with cards like this Olerud where the print plate makers didnt trim real well. The cards really started to look like crap (not that they didnt look all that great anyway), I quit selling them because of the print quality. After I sold off my last lots of them, several bulk dealers were trying to unload them back on me because they couldnt sell them.

Fordman

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I just picked up the pink background version if this card so I now have the orange and pink, and need the white. The "over size proofs" like the one listed in the auction I mentioned a few posts earlier I still am going to disregard.

Tim, what's the verdict on a name for this set? You were going to catalogue the pink version as "1990 Sports Stars Elite Bonus Card'? What would you call the orange and white versions?

Thanks!

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I just picked up the pink background version if this card so I now have the orange and pink, and need the white. The "over size proofs" like the one listed in the auction I mentioned a few posts earlier I still am going to disregard.

Tim, what's the verdict on a name for this set? You were going to catalogue the pink version as "1990 Sports Stars Elite Bonus Card'? What would you call the orange and white versions?

Thanks!

If it is only the Olerud that is changing colors, then:

1990 Sports Stars Elite White Bonus Card
1990 Sports Stars Elite Orange Bonus Card
1990 Sports Stars Elite Pink Bonus Card

Members online

Latest posts