Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 2: IUjapander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Jason - Thanks again for doing this ! Enjoy, everyone !!!!

1) When did you start collecting _______ and why do you collect ______ ?

I started collecting in 1986, but like a lot of people quit in 1993. In 2009 I found my old collection in the garage of my childhood home and started going through the old sets. It brought back a flood of great memories so decided that I would go to a card store and see if I could finish some of the sets from back then. Once I walked into the store I was blown away by how the hobby had changed. I saw a Cal Ripken jersey card (scan below) and instantly had to get it. Picked up a box of Allen & Ginter and after opening that I was once again a collector.

1632113_orig.jpg

Why do you collect is a lot tougher question. I think the number one thing is what you learn about the history of the game. Especially with the IU collection the research that I've put into the players, it is not only a pursuit of cards, it is compiling a comprehensive history of the program incorporated with cards. Also this might sound crazy to some, but I find the organizing, cataloging, scanning and documenting on my website and FCB to be extremely relaxing. Listening to music and scanning cards is my idea of a good time.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting ____ ? What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on ______ ?

When I got back into the hobby I really had no focus. I think this happens with a lot of collectors when first getting back, we buy a little bit of something from everything. Each new product that came out I was buying a box of, and usually striking out. I started my Ryan Doumit collection first, and found that I enjoy player collecting the best in today's hobby. But he doesn't have a ton of cards so also started collecting Orioles cards. Generally our local card shows are 80% football/basketball/racing so when I go I'm in and out in a few minutes. But one day in 2010 as I was moving along the display cases I saw this card.

7250599_orig.jpg

After looking at Phegley's history I found out that he was one of three first round draft picks from IU in 2009. Then saw Alex Dickerson had USA cards in 2010 Bowman Platinum which then led to Mickey Morandini, Kevin Orie, Ted Kluskewski, and so on and that is when the IU Collection really took off.

3) What has been the high point in collecting ______ ? The low point ?

I was so happy to finish the Alex Dickerson 2011 Draft Master Set (or rainbow if you prefer) Bowman Red, Canary, Superfractor, 4/8 plates

th_Scan0219.jpg
th_Scan0157.jpg
th_Scan0322.jpg
th_2011BowmanDraftPrintingPlateYellow27.jpg
th_Scan0531.jpg
th_Scan0198.jpg
th_2011BowmanChromeDraftPrintingPlateMagenta27.jpg

No real low points. I mean you get your occasional disappointment at a lost auction, but nothing really low has happened.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ? Why didn't it work out ?

Haven't regretted any cards that have slipped through the cracks. I always try to make very fair offers on cards if I see them, and if it doesn't work out there are plenty of other things out there. I never check ebay completed sales as you can't worry about what you missed, or who got steals, etc.

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ? Why ?

Without question it is this 2009 IU game used Josh Phegley jersey. I just think it is an awesome IU museum kind of item.

null-13.jpg

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) for ______ ?

download.jpg

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?

My white whale would be a 2010 Bowman Platinum Triple Auto Red /10 of Alex Dickerson, Jackie Bradley Jr, and George Springer. It is the last non 1/1 of Dickerson that I need. But realistically I'll say a 2008 Ginter No Number Mini of Mark Spitz. Haven't seen one of those listed in years.

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ? (For set collectors, it'd be asking about meeting other set collector's of said set and having discussions with them).

No unfortunately have not meet any players that I collect. I did connect with someone who has a tremendous Kevin Orie Collection. We did a trade where he sent me some of his duplicates of impossible to find 90s inserts including this one.

7065604_orig.jpg

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting ______ ?

The number one thing I would change is recycling of photos. For a player collector it is brutal. To have endless amounts of parallels, and then use the same picture in another set with another endless amount of parallels, it gets stale quick. This is something that is not impossible to change, and would at least differentiate brands.

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of _____ ? How have they hurt ?

The collection would not exist without ebay and COMC. I wish there was more interaction outside of those two, but it isn't often on the forums you see QUICK SALE: 1911 Helmer Stamps BELOW EBAY!!1!

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of _____ ? How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player ?

For awhile I would say the competition was sparse. The baseball program recently/currently has some very good prospects, so along with that comes greater competition. It is something that I welcome. If it means that some of these guys actually make it to the bigs, but I have less cards of them, I'm fine with that. For the core group I'll search at least once a day. Some of the saved searches get checked once a week, and some not in months.

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ?

Not really. I doubt anyone else would want it. But no it would take something drastic for me to break it up.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection ? Elaborate.

Thanks to [MENTION=1801]pghbuccos[/MENTION] who's posts inspired me to start showing my collection. Thanks to [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] for providing a forum that allows me to display it like this. No other forum would come close. I try to say thank you to all of great members that have helped as I scan the cards in.

Shamless Plug: I show cards from my other collections on Twitter (Ginter Relics, Family Guy Cards, Doumit, and USA cards) https://twitter.com/IUjapander
Shamless Plug 2: I've written the bios for all of the IU Players up to 1999. I'm constantly working on it and adding new content, but all of my scans card info and needs list are here http://www.iujapandercards.com/

Since I show all of the cards here...http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...d.php?t=100743

I didn't think it would make much sense to show those again. But here are some of the other things in my collection. I'm pretty back logged on showing this stuff, so these are just a few cell phone pics. Also I know the display isn't ideal, but it is what it is for now.

Seth Bynum game used autographed cleats (Ryan Doumit GU Hat and Mother's Day wrist bands

DFF3F603-9A1D-4FD3-A017-FDBD976477B3.jpg

Phegley jersey again. Autographed as well.
ED9B74B2-176F-4127-B26F-85E1CB00EB1E.jpg

Phegley minor league game used
642D6399-76DE-435A-80F9-DBEC933D5E3C.jpg

Eric Arnett Minor League jersey
48532315-EB53-407B-899B-A4CFB116589D.jpg

Eric Arnett Spring Training jersey
7B2685B3-BDCA-461B-B242-BEB53E9C09BE.jpg

Chris Peters Batting Practice Jersey
C4D290BA-9E68-4305-8CE7-72496997CB38.jpg

Here's two things from the Doumit collection that I had to show. ***** league uniform, came with the pants too. Awesome.
BEEE22E1-0B18-410A-B449-0BFAFB873941.jpg

Jackie Robinson day autographed jersey
02FA9395-FE59-408A-8FF6-99A7394E1EEB.jpg

12 Game used bats in the IU Collection. Two in the Doumit collection. One USA 1988 Olympic Gold Medal team signed bat (Morandini) and a Mickey Morandini game model 1995 All Star Game Autographed bat.

D71D1AC7-213B-4562-AF72-EAF1E6FA87D0.jpg

Here's a stack of cards. Wax boxes are empty. Don't know why, but I keep one box of whatever I open. Also if you look on the shelves I decided to keep my childhood boxes. It was a lot simpler when getting stickers in the packs was cool.
959FB9D7-B3F5-4B8B-82EB-81A44EA58D8E.jpg

Completed sets. Also Peyton Manning Autograph
7281B5AE-9BF1-410C-956B-25E63A9D8905.jpg

Some signed 8x10s, Matt Groening signed comic, IU helmet, oversized cards, and a couple of player contracts from Topps I haven't scanned yet.
30C9A6DD-1DC3-45F8-81AA-929F01BC15B6.jpg

Cribs shot
22005261-12E5-46F5-AE24-03C7F2045166.jpg

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
Thanks Dave for the interview. When I got the PM I was shocked and humbled that you would select me. I hope that I can keep the collection going strong, and that you guys keep enjoying watching it grow. Thanks again for the selection and I'm honored.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Great stuff, love the game used! Thanks to [MENTION=3743]AmishDave[/MENTION] for getting this going again, it's always nice to read about people describing their collections.

And now back to cc.com to watch more Chappelle skits...

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
One more up before Vol. 3 is released Sunday. Thank you again, Jason, for doing this. Such an underrated and under appreciated collection you have there !

Members online

Latest posts