Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I feel old

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It's one thing to see new draft picks with last names such as yastrzemski and garvey and immediately wonder if they are related to the former stars.

It's another thing when you see Dylan Manwaring and actually KNOW there was a very light hitting catcher with that last name.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
What gets me is when I see their birth years and I remember the rookies I collected that same year.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I'll feel old when I see a player born in 1998; that'll be the first time I'll see a player and think I could have a kid that age (if not for condoms).

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
I swear I was just pulling Delino DeShields RC from 1990 Fleer and Topps just the other day... Now I have his kids' cards??? And Jack Armstrong's kids' cards???

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I feel old knowing Mark Grace turns 50 in June. And that with the retirement of Mariano Rivera, there are no active players in MLB older than me. :(

And it's not Kurt, it's Kirt. Kirt Manwaring - patron saint of Mark Grace cameo cards!

cameo5.jpg
94SCOREMANWARING.jpg
94UDCOLLECTORSCHOICEMANWARINGS.jpg
94UDMANWARINGED.jpg

toadfan106

May 2, 2009
It's one thing to see new draft picks with last names such as yastrzemski and garvey and immediately wonder if they are related to the former stars.

It's another thing when you see Dylan Manwaring and actually KNOW there was a very light hitting catcher with that last name.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

The drafts picks will do it, but it is worse when I realize that there are MLB coaches that are younger than I am. That gets me really depressed.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Nathan MacKinnon, the #1 pick in last years NHL Draft is having very good, if not excellent rookie campaign in the NHL

He was drafted by The Avalanche, who were "formed" (moved from Quebec) in October of 1995

Nathan MacKinnon was born on September 1st, 1995. So he and the franchise he plays for are pretty much the same age.

thats pretty scary

Last edited:

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I think we passed this mark some 10 years ago with all the juniors that were hitting MLB: Gary Matthews, Tony Gwynn, Tim Raines, Eric Young, Jerry Hairston, Jose Cruz, etc. Pity Ken Griffey III went the football route. And how has there not been another generation of Alou in baseball?

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder if there are any more Boones in the pipeline. Could be the first 4th generation family.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
How bout this one that just went down....

The Angels have traded 1B Matthew Scioscia (Mike's son) to the Cubs for OF Trevor Gretzky (Wayne's son), Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times tweets. Scioscia, 25, hit .194/.248/.224 in three minor-league levels last year. The 21-year-old Gretzky, a seventh-round pick in 2011, hit .274/.300/.333 in the low minors in 2013.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nothing in the card arena sinks in for this topic compared to knowing that the average Playboy centerfold was probably born in or around 1994!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
It doesn't bother me as much in baseball as football. Heck, my Dad asked me why Steve Lombardozzi still had cards.

It atarted when Barry Sanders' kid had a monster HS season before leaving for Stanford this year.

But the one that hit me "hardest" was when Fred Taylor, "Frightening Fred from Florida", Sugar Bowl 1996 MVP and Jacksonville's best RB so far, had his kid break Emmitt's Florida HS records. Heck, his Dad was drafted the same year as Peyton Manning!

I know guys have kids younger and younger but geez, am I old...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts