Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 3: ThoseBackPages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
A gracious thank you to Eric for doing the interview.

1) When did you start collecting _____Slabs_____ and why do you collect ______Slabs_____ ?

I was a collector from 1980 until 1997/8 and walked away cold turkey. When I returned to the addiction about 10 years ago, I was fed up with eBay sellers over grading the cards they were selling. That was what got me to research the graded card market and that's what got me to where I am today as a collector.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting __Slabs__ ? What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on _____Slabs____ ?

This really ties in with the last question. Buying raw cards online (and to an extent in person) is a real crap-shoot. After awhile, one is willing to pay more knowing what they'll be receiving in the mail, ya know?

3) What has been the high point in collecting __Slabs____ ? The low point ?

As I've been doing this for a very long time, its nearly impossible to pick either a high or low point.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ? Why didn't it work out ?

I think its easier to recall the most recent stuff when it comes to questions like this. Over the last few months, I was trying to pick up a Mike Trout 2009 Bowman Chrome Draft Auto in a nice BGS 9 / PSA 9 slab. Didn't happen. Mostly because I was trying to find one in my budget and it never came to fruition. For that reason alone, I like to think it will continue to climb! LOL.

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ? Why ?

That's easy. 1985 Topps Baseball #620. That is my all time favorite card and I would not be typing this if not for that card. The copy that I pick for this answer is one that I pack-pulled myself in 1985, then carried around in my wallet for about three years before having Dwight sign it for me at the 2012 National. That is probably the "highpoint' of my collecting career.

b208c24d.jpg

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) for __Slabs____ ?

LOL! They don't get it at ALL!

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?

Easy, 1948 Leaf Satchel Paige RC in a PSA 1 Slab. It's the last Post-War PSA RC I need for my collection.

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ? (For set collectors, it'd be asking about meeting other set collector's of said set and having discussions with them.)

Yes, I've met many Slab collectors over the years. That's the best part of going to The National, meeting up with like-minded people, and seeing friends. I cannot stress that enough to anyone that's reading this and has never been to The Show. It is like nothing else. There's no way to describe it to you that would do it justice. i strongly urge you to get to The Show if you are able to, you wont regret it. Budget doesn't matter. Sure its easy to blow lots of cash there, but its the experience of being there that cannot be topped!

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting ____Slabs____ ?

Look, all the Grading Companies have their faults, they're human, it happens. The biggest pet peeve I have is the notion that some submitters get special treatment. Do people really believe that the big Grading companies are going to risk their reputation for a few hundred grand? Really?

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of ___Slabs___ ? How have they hurt ?

They are the reason that I can collect slabs. 90+% of my Slabs are purchased online. It's easier and not to mention cheaper. At shows, I don't mind paying a premium as I'll be leaving the show with the slab in hand, not worrying about it arriving safely in the mail. That's a great relief, but I'm not going to pay extreme premiums for it. Some dealers at shows also tend to have false notions that they can incorporate things like 'grading fees' into what they are asking. I get that, to a point, but lets be real about it, ok?

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of __Slabs___ ? How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player ?

I would say I don't have a LOT of competition when it comes to the slabs I collect. My focus changes every now and again, but for the most part,
I'm all about the rookie card, in various conditions, depending on the player. I check eBay a few times a day to see what pops up.

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ?

I honestly feel that collectors are born, they are not made. I don't care what it is, we collect. If not sports cards, then something else, it's what we do, and that's ok
so when I feel as if I should give it up, I'll focus on something else, and come back to that old focus at another time.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection ? Elaborate.

As far as Message Boards go, FCB is the best. The members care about each other, and are VERY generous with not only their time but their wallets.
More times than I can remember, people have helped others with their collections, asking nothing in return.

And then just a general wrap up, like an acceptance speech.

In closing, collect whatever you want, HOWEVER you want! After all, it's YOUR collection!!
FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS! Try your best to stick to it, it's difficult, no denying that, but it's pretty important, IMO. Someone once told me a long time ago ... it's easy to go broke "saving money" on eBay. Try to worry less about what you don't have yet, and step back and look at what you DO have already. Yes, easier said then done, I know, believe me! lol

Lastly, have FUN with whatever it is you collect!

Again, thank you so much for agreeing to do this, Eric ! I hope everyone reads and enjoys this !

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Great interview. Thanks for doing these and for Eric for doing it. I'm always entertained by his comments or one liners on here and it's quite interesting to learn more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts