Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the Day Monday March 24, 2014 Bringing out the heavy artillery.....You tell the story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Today's photo of the day is just begging to have a story told for it. The "slug" on the back of this wire photo is in Spanish (I think) so I cannot make heads or tails out of it so I will leave the story up to you guys. I can tell you This was apparently at Shibe Park in Philadelphia and the catcher is Ian Brokaw (these are the only words I can understand from the slug on the back of the photo).

So have at it guys. I have post a photo of the information that is on the back if you think it will help.

I hope you enjoy today's photo of the day.

1798657_859675054059682_289600843_n_zpsa176135b.jpg

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
It was billed as the "Catch of Death" in the newspapers of the day. Bill Taylor, as Ashburn Alley points out, was introduced as the stuntman Ian Brokaw. It was reported that the 75 mm artillary gun was loaded with a "light charge," but the baseball still flew "twice as fast as a Feller fastball" and knocked back the catcher several feet, who caught it 110 ft. from the end of the barrel and managed to hold on. In setting up the stunt, the first trial used a larger charge, and the ball whizzed by Taylors head and left a hole in the scoreboard - wonder if that's the second photo?!

Check out this view:

http://books.google.com/books?id=JX...wAw#v=onepage&q=shibe park ian brokaw&f=false

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Wish I could make out what the rest of the WARNING said in the outfield.
DANNY

Shibe_Park_1943.jpg

I can make out all but one word - thought it would be "objects" but doesn't look right:

WARNING
PERSONS THROWING BOTTLES
OR OTHER (?) WILL BE
ARRESTED and PROSECUTED

EDIT: Found it, the missing word is MISSILES. The warning sign was placed there in 1941 when the new scoreboard - biggest in baseball - was added by Connie Mack.

Last edited:

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Shibe_Park_1943.jpg

I can make out all but one word - thought it would be "objects" but doesn't look right:

WARNING
PERSONS THROWING BOTTLES
OR OTHER (?) WILL BE
ARRESTED and PROSECUTED

EDIT: Found it, the missing word is MISSILES. The warning sign was placed there in 1941 when the new scoreboard - biggest in baseball - was added by Connie Mack.

Thanks! I thought it might have something to do with the stunt itself, and I guess that it could actually apply!
DANNY

Members online