Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Have You Ever Overpaid on Purpose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Let me start by saying that for being a player collector, I am cheap. I have over 3,200 different Gwynn cards, and I would say I have gotten a great deal on a large majority of them. I know the "price guide" is only a guide, and I know many people on these boards hate the "price guide", but just using it as a reference, this is the first time I have purposely paid more than "Beckett" on a card.
BV $12
Paid $15
emeraldgame.jpg

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
cgilmo said:
i dont know what any of my cards "book"

I knew I'd get a response like that, but I've been collecting Gwynn for 20+ years, back before Ebay, when Beckett was very important. It's a habit maybe only old school collectors are influenced by?

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Yes. If I've missed out on a card so many times over the years, I tend to get a bit more aggressive in bidding the next time it comes up... or if I am close to finishing off an entire year on one of my players.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
THat's it Plasticman! Missing out on cards! I am getting to a point now with some cards where I just want to get it and stop worrying about it! I've been patient for so long, I hope I am not losing my touch! (My wife will kill me!)

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:
THat's it Plasticman! Missing out on cards! I am getting to a point now with some cards where I just want to get it and stop worrying about it! I've been patient for so long, I hope I am not losing my touch! (My wife will kill me!)

Same philosophy here. I just know what I am willing to pay. Lots of great prices lately. Nice pick up. I overpaid by a few bucks for my last Eddie Murray Epix card.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I did it several times building up the Patrice Bergeron collection (hockey).
This was the biggest culprit - $350 when it was booking $250. But with the 3 colors, I was OK with it.

bergerontitanium.jpg

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
Brewer Andy said:
Every time I break down in Burbank. It is all about being tired of waiting

That's what they count on. It's like Chinese water torture - they know that if you see their overpriced stuff out there long enough, eventually you'll cave! :lol:

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
bungle77 said:
This was the biggest culprit - $350 when it was booking $250. But with the 3 colors, I was OK with it.

bergerontitanium.jpg

Wow, $350 for a jersey card. What would it sell for on the open market? Like if ya listed it at .99 and let it go auction style.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
I wouldn't say I have overpaid on purpose, but I have paid and offered more than "Book Value" on cards numerous times. Some cards rarely show up and the BV is not updated to the actual prices people pay.

I know a lot of people despise book value, but I think it is still a useful tool. While I agree the prices are no where near accurate, a lot of people selling use Book Value as a guide to what they expect to receive for a card. This is sometimes helpful with best offers and having someone end an auction early on a card you don't want to get into a bidding war on.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
AKA Coastal said:
bungle77 said:

bergerontitanium.jpg

Wow, $350 for a jersey card. What would it sell for on the open market? Like if ya listed it at .99 and let it go auction style.

It's technically a RC, except for that whole Beckett "nothing with a print run under 99 can be called RC" rule they have. All the RC jersey cards were numbered to the jersey number. And, it was the only 3-color one I'd ever seen.
Now, it wouldn't hit triple digits with all of his concussion problems. My Bergeron collection is probably at 25% what I paid for it (and, that was a lot).

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Billy Packer said:
[quote="Brewer Andy":254op3gf]Every time I break down in Burbank. It is all about being tired of waiting

That's what they count on. It's like Chinese water torture - they know that if you see their overpriced stuff out there long enough, eventually you'll cave! :lol:[/quote:254op3gf]

Like any good $2 stripper, they know who the really desperate ones are.

zookerman182

Aug 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL
I have over paid many times on purpose or because i had to. I dont pay attention to book value but if a card that shows up once a week on ebay sells for 25 and i can tell others have been wanting them but i keep winning them, i will pay 35 or higher on one that appears in a buy it now or best offer format.

I am also very impatient and will pay 5-10 dollars over the average just to not have to wait and bid at the very end of an auction, because alot of times its inconvenient or i forget.

Plus sometimes when you over pay it sets the mark for next time that card is listed. You can single handedly determine the value of a card if you have enough money.

starwarsfan2003

Dec 4, 2008
zookerman182 said:
Plus sometimes when you over pay it sets the mark for next time that card is listed. You can single handedly determine the value of a card if you have enough money.

You hit it on the head there zook, at least in my case. Over the years I've paid way over market value for the bulk of my rarer Markakis cards, especially cards with a print run of 15 or less. Sometimes 2x what the market would call for on a low run card of a comparable player. Unfortunately that's ended up biting me on the ass, as now I end up losing out on low run cards, because I've already set the precedent and "price range". Now I just focus on his more unique cards, and ramping up % complete numbers.

But as many before have stated, If it's a card I know I won't see in a long time, hell I'll go double book and not even bat an eye. If it fills a hole in a collection, that makes my collection that much more complete or brings a year to completion or close to it, I'll do it.

Members online

Latest posts