Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How the bleep does this happen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Question for you tech guys....

I went to cnn's site (didn't sign in and don't have a screen name) and the ad banner was for Dave & Adam's!

How does "it" know I deal in cards?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Its called cookies. They are used to track where you've been on the internet. All of that **** you look at, there's a cookie for that as well! Cookies are tiny bits of info websites leave with your browser. Some are good and some are bad. If you use Google a lot, Google places them there. Websites like cnn must use Google ad services and they know what websites you've been to and then try to give you like minded website suggestions in the banner ad.

You can clean your cookies if you want every day, just like your temporary internet files.

Fordman

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So now I'm wondering, yes I checked out Dave and Adams last week (been a year since I ordered) but the ad showcased a bench warmers box!

And while I certainly have nothing against that product, I've also never checked d&a or anywhere else for it.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
So now I'm wondering, yes I checked out Dave and Adams last week (been a year since I ordered) but the ad showcased a bench warmers box!

And while I certainly have nothing against that product, I've also never checked d&a or anywhere else for it.

Obviously Google ads merged your two biggest searches together...

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Question for you tech guys....

I went to cnn's site (didn't sign in and don't have a screen name) and the ad banner was for Dave & Adam's!

How does "it" know I deal in cards?

You see those contrails coming from behind that airplane above you?

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I get those too but I get ads from website I already use. Like my website platform, and my email program reachmail. So sometimes its a waste of an ad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The ability to read cookies is limited to the site that sets them. For instance, CNN (or their ad syndicator) can't read cookies set by dacardworld.com or whatever. However, if you are logged into a Google account or something like that, or are using Chrome or other late-model browser, you can be pretty sure you are being tracked and contextual ads will be more prevalent.