Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

To grade or not to grade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mellowturtle

Feb 3, 2014
I recently came across some unopened wax/cello/foil packs from 89-91 that I forgot I still had. I decided to crack open a couple for old times sake. The only highlight, and I use the term loosely, was a '90 Fleer Juan Gonzalez RC. This got me thinking, since the card is essentially brand new, would it be worth my time having it graded? For that matter, given that the bulk of my PC spans 87-97, is it worth having any of them graded? I'll be honest, I've never sent anything off to be graded before. From what I can tell, the guys (and gals) who have been at this longer than me, tend to use either PSA or Beckett for their grading needs. Do any of you have a preference? Is one more reputable than the other? I appreciate any assistance you guys (and gals) can offer.

-Mike

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I would imagine a PSA 10 or a BGS 9.5 would be worth less then the cost of grading for a '90 Fleer Juan Gonzalez RC.

Mellowturtle

Feb 3, 2014
The Gonzalez was just an example. I'm trying to get an general consensus on how which cards (RCs/autographs) are worth the trouble of having them graded.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I wouldn't bother sending any of them to be graded unless they are Griffey or Jeter.What other cards do you have?

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Self submissions with the intent of "making money" are a loosing proposition.

if you cherish the cards from your childhood, and would like to have them graded because they mean a lot to you, then yes, i would get them graded,
as those particular cards that you send in are ones that you've owned since release.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
The Gonzalez was just an example. I'm trying to get an general consensus on how which cards (RCs/autographs) are worth the trouble of having them graded.

The problem with the generalization of your question is that a book the size of 'war and peace' could be written to fully explain all the information needed to answer this question. There is no blanket answer for your question. But here is a bit of information that may help you. If you find a card that you think may be worth grading, do a ebay search on completed auctions for the specific card in a BGS 9.5 or a PSA 10 grade. Here you will be able to tell if your card(s) are worth grading or not. Assuming of course the card(s) in question look to have a reasonable chance to grade out well.

Mellowturtle

Feb 3, 2014
Self submissions with the intent of "making money" are a loosing proposition.

if you cherish the cards from your childhood, and would like to have them graded because they mean a lot to you, then yes, i would get them graded,
as those particular cards that you send in are ones that you've owned since release.

This is closer to my thought process. The cards I'm thinking about are from my childhood. I took pretty good care of them and want to protect them with the option of selling them in 50 years or so, assuming I'm still alive, or giving them to my kids.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Members online