Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting 2014 Heritage Error. Ever seen this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
So I pulled this odd error from Heritage today. Anybody seen this before? Does this help the value much?

carp1_zps7ba8411c.jpg

carp2_zps9fc35a65.jpg

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Is that scraping on the front? It kind of looks like it got hung up in the serial numbering process. Cool stuff, but it really means there's one out there without a serial number. Sometimes those add premiums.

No scraping just a bad scan I guess. I was baffled since the numbers aren't sequential.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I was baffled since the numbers aren't sequential.

I guess it's another good data point that Topps may be using random numbering in the production process. I pulled a numbered insert in each of two consecutive boxes once and the numbers weren't sequential and I wondered why. Now it appears it's because they aren't stamped on the card sequentially.

It's bad for Topps in that if it's a random stamping, it improves the odds that there will be 2 or more cards with the same numbering since you have to rely on the software to not reuse a number twice in the stamping process.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
I guess it depends on which way the cards moving when they are stamped.. top to bottom or side to side. Could be a whole row of cards on the sheet could be this way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I guess it's another good data point that Topps may be using random numbering in the production process. I pulled a numbered insert in each of two consecutive boxes once and the numbers weren't sequential and I wondered why. Now it appears it's because they aren't stamped on the card sequentially.

It's bad for Topps in that if it's a random stamping, it improves the odds that there will be 2 or more cards with the same numbering since you have to rely on the software to not reuse a number twice in the stamping process.

No way they do that, the stamping is done with rolling number dials, they are stamped sequentially.

Latest posts