Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Sunday March 30, 2014 Three legends one cool looking color photo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Today's photo of the day is a pretty interessting photo. In this photo are three legends, known for totally different things, pictured on a team in which none of them accomplished their legendary feats with but still a dang cool photo.

In the middle is Hall of Famer Ted Williams who managed the Washington Senators from 1969 to '71. Of course he was known as a Boston Red Sox great who many feel would never manage due tot he fact he wanted everyone to be as perfect as he was as a player. Williams had a mediocre career as a manager and many forget that he spent some time in Washington when they recall his baseball experience.

On the right is Denny McClain who hold a record many feel will never be broken. McClain pitched for the Detroit Tigers and had a season of a lifetime in 1968 when he won 31 games and lost only six. denny was the last man, and many feel will be THE last man to ever win 31 games in a season. McClain went on to have an interesting post baseball career by being convicted of racheteering and did some time in jail but now you will find him making the card show rounds.

On the left is Curt Flood. Curt Flood was a player for the St. Louis Cardinals who would find himself traded after the 1969 season and rather than accepting the trade he refused it, setting off a court case that eventually would challenge baseball's reserve clause that found baseball players had no say in their career and where they play. For the fans who dont know, there was a time in which baseball players had zero say in where they were playing and if traded, they either accepted the trade or lost their right to play anywhere else to earn a living. Flood's case would eventually wind itself to the Supreme Court and is the reason why today's baseball players have the right to free agency and can move from team to team.

I hope you enjoy today's photo of the day.

10169418_609711399111052_549205380_n_zps187963c3.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Pics like this (or Mays or Spahn in a Mets jersey) are like going to a Legends of Wrestling event. You always want to see them, but they never look like they once did, and it's always a little embarrassing for all of us

mchenrycards

Pics like this (or Mays or Spahn in a Mets jersey) are like going to a Legends of Wrestling event. You always want to see them, but they never look like they once did, and it's always a little embarrassing for all of us

You are so right. I always felt that Teddy Ballgame should never be pictured in a Senators uniform and Joe DiMaggio was even more jarring in an A's uniform. DiMaggio coached for a period of time for the Oakland A's and I always thought this photo to be very odd.

dimaggio-athletics_zps8c0f3c7c.jpg

Last edited:

mchenrycards

It was Denny McClain's 70th birthday yesterday and he will be making the rounds at many minor league ball parks again this year to sign autographs and to give away a digital copy of his new book. I have had the chance to speak with him many times via Facebook where he is very active and interracts with the fans there on a regular basis. If you want to speak to a legend friend him....he is very much available to talk baseball or even politics.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
You are so right. I always felt that Teddy Ballgame should never be pictured in a Senators uniform and Joe DiMaggio was even more jarring in an A's uniform. DiMaggio coached for a period of time for the Oakland A's and I always thought this photo to be very odd.

dimaggio-athletics_zps8c0f3c7c.jpg

Looks like he just got back from Whoville

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Sorry I missed this yesterday. As a big Ted guy I do recognize his time in Washington (and Texas) as a blip on his career. He never managed in Boston but served as a S/T instructor for many years following his managerial stints. While his managerial record was mediocre, I believe the talent he had was mediocre at best as well.

That DiMaggio photo is a hoot too. He had long time ties to the Bay Area so no surprise he picked up a pay check with one of the local teams.

Members online