Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 4: Pinbreaker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Major thank you to Kevin for this weeks interview ! Enjoy !!!

1) When did you start collecting? 1985 and why do you collect? It's a great hobby.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting?When I was able to use EBAY/Yahoo Auctions to increase my collections and to offset the cost of collecting. What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on Edgar Martinez? He was doing charity work for Muscular Dystrophy which my wife had.

3) What has been the high point in collecting? Having my wife pull a 1/1 Roger Maris Cut Auto. The low point? Watching the card companies not fulfill redemptions of cards I really wanted.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret? None really..Why didn't it work out? If anything, there is an Edgar Martinez collector that I compete with on EBAY and he wins out from time to time..

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection? Roger Maris cut auto 1/1 Why? My disabled wife pulled it out of a $50 box and the look on her face knowing it was a great card makes it priceless.

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) for? My wife knew my addiction, but she said it was better then me going to a bar and getting drunk.. So she called my LCS which I have been going to since 1985 my bar.. :smile:

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire? 2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber baseball leather auto's of Ralph Kiner /5 and Luis Aparicio /10..it's been 10 years and I have yet to see a Kiner, and I've seen 1 Aparico that sold on EBAY that I missed out on..

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like? Yes, he was doing a charity signing near me and I took a few things in to have him sign, and thank him for his charity work he did with Muscular Dystrophy.

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting? The MLB and the way they only allow Topps to officially produce cards..

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of? I have been able to pick up cards from around the world that without them, I would have never seen. How have they hurt? I've lost out on some cards from buyers around the world..

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of Edgar Martinez? There are a few serious collectors of him and now there have been a few more pop up around the world. How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player? Pretty much daily..

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection? Until recently, I hadn't, but since my wife passed away in June, and I am slowly going through her things that she collected, dabbled in, I wouldn't want to leave this burden on someone else.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection? Elaborate.

I have an Edgar patch card that a few members got together and sent to me. It's a great looking card and I am always getting a heads up for Edgar cards that are on the different sites as well..

And then just a general wrap up, like an acceptance speech.

I have enjoyed collecting Edgar and a few other players, because it always keeps me young and looking back to when I was a kid going to ballgames and seeing the players that are now in the Hall of Fame. I also get a kick out of helping out other collectors with their collections..

One of these days I will scan in my collection for all to see,
(I've been saying that for years!)

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Here are the cards that I referenced..

Roger Maris Cut Auto 1/1..
maris.jpg

the patch card that they gave me..
EdgarMartinez-r2d2.jpg

The set I have been working on..

http://www.mcaf.com/pinbreaker/pers_coll/LL04/LL04.htm

Example..

miguel-cabrera2.jpg

miguel-cabrera2a.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Excellent stuff, Kevin is definitely one of FCBs best! Some day somewhere someone is going to find those Leathers!

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Great read once again. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. I take summers away and somehow missed this. :(
As a frequent member of this forum I take a lot from watching yours, [MENTION=2418]George_Calfas[/MENTION] and a handful of others involvement in this community and tidbits from the morning thread and how to make it better and involve myself as a better person, not just here but in real life as well.
These "pillars" of our community don't see it but I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel this way

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Pin, Sorry to hear that man.

My buddy had MD as well and fave player was Gar. He signed up for makeawish but didn't make it as Gar was the most requested in this area at the time. He died in his teens.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
These are always some of my favorite threads. It sheds light on the who and why people collect what they collect and brings out some great cards. Thanks to Dave & Kevin!

Members online