Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Topps Chrome Red Test "Autos"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I totally missed the end of a couple auctions a few months back for some 2009 Topps Chrome Red Test auto's for Austin Jackson and Chris Tillman. I forgot who the seller was and I can find the original auction anymore, but those Test auto's were NOT signed. Now all of a sudden both of these popped up on eBay and both of these are suddenly signed. As an Austin Jackson collector, I don't think the Austin Jackson auto is legit. I'm no expert on Tillman, but that auto looks a little "off" to me as well. The seller doesn't mention if these autos were obtained in-person or not but I asked and I'll update when I hear back.

I know we've all talked about this before about how these test autos are almost a license to an easy scam, but since the focus of my collection is so limited, I haven't actually seen a blank "test" auto suddenly pop up with an autograph before now.

Have any of you seen a blank test auto suddenly pop up with an auto? Is this common? If it is indeed a legit auto obtained in-person, how do you guys feel about that? Assuming the blank test auto card really is as rare as advertised (1/1), I think it's a real friggin shame that it's now autographed....whether it's real or fake. I would've been willing to pay a hefty price tag for this Austin Jackson had it remained blank, but with the auto I have zero interest in it.

I know some of you feel differently....would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321372073429?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Tillman Test.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321372074352?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Jackson Test.JPG

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
If I wanted one it would bug me too that it was signed, or altered from it's original release.If you don't like the autograph I guess you could always have the signature removed.Someone said a dry eraser would do it, though I have never tried this.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
If I wanted one it would bug me too that it was signed, or altered from it's original release.If you don't like the autograph I guess you could always have the signature removed.Someone said a dry eraser would do it, though I have never tried this.

Wow...really?! I should try that out on one of my old 2010 Topps "warped" edition and see if it works. The only potential problem I see is that an eraser could possibly scratch that beautiful refractor surface.

Latest posts