Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Want to see the original 89 Upper Deck Griffey photo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Upper Deck had a great Photoshop-like software, much better than topps' air brushing for the time.

Although not the identical photo, obviously it was taken seconds or so apart.

Attachments

• 1397009168122.jpg
    1397009168122.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Why am I the only one who thinks this is cool?

Not too long ago I was trying to find the original photo. Where did you see this?

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I saw a story on this awhile ago..

Griffey was with San Bernadino at the time.. So they touched it up to make it look like he was a Mariner!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here are the details of the photo from the book, Card Sharks:

The honor of appearing on card No. 1 went to Griffey, Jr. But since Griffey had played in the minors the year before, Upper Deck had no photos of him in a Mariners' uniform. Instead, (UD player selector Tom) Geidman used a snapshot of Griffey in a San Bernadino uniform and cap and had it computer enhanced. Using a graphics process called "Scitex" - the modern equivalent of the airbrush - Geideman had "promoted" Griffey to the Mariners in November of 1988.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Why am I the only one who thinks this is cool?

Not too long ago I was trying to find the original photo. Where did you see this?

Tell me about it! I tried randomly for months after finding it originally last year somewhere online.

I just happened to see it while reading another story.

I believe I first saw it last year on the sports illustrated site. But wasn't able to find it since.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/upper-deck-turned-griffey-minor-league-photo-signature-card/

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
And yes, I too think this is totally awesome!

Kind of like seeing the un cropped 52 topps mantle photo or any other iconic card photo.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This is really cool. Great thread and very interesting. Iconic card for sure.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Members online

No members online now.