Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another arm falls off- Nova

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
He needs to get in line. This season is a trainwreck for starters. Over / under on how many more pitchers need major surgery this season ?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Vidal nuno or Adam Warren time!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Why are pitchers so fragile in today's game?Seems like every week another starter has to have John
surgury.Back in the '60s, '70s, '80s, and lesser extent '90s pitchers racked up 250-300 innings a year, and rarely had arm injuries.I read the back of one of Ryan's card one day, and was surprised to read he routinely pitched 300-350 innings a year, and was never hurt until very late in his career.I don't get why starters were so much more durable decades ago.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Why are pitchers so fragile in today's game?Seems like every week another starter has to have John
surgury.Back in the '60s, '70s, '80s, and lesser extent '90s pitchers racked up 250-300 innings a year, and rarely had arm injuries.I read the back of one of Ryan's card one day, and was surprised to read he routinely pitched 300-350 innings a year, and was never hurt until very late in his career.I don't get why starters were so much more durable decades ago.

Pitchers werent making 200 million dollars then either

It's only going to get worse as innings limits, pitch counts and rarely going over 7ip becomes the norm.

Guys back then didnt have those barriers that today's pitchers do.

Im fearing it's going to happen to Yordano Ventura. He threw very limited innings each year in the minors and now is expected to throw 180-200 in the bigs where the competition is more fierce than what he's faced before.

Also, a lot of young flamethrowers rely heavily on their fastball because they can get it in the high 90's. They dont take the time to develop secondary pitches that can help reduce the stress and strain on their arm.

A devastating curve is amazing but it also puts huge pressure on a pitchers elbow.

When I was pitching I had a 2 and 4 seam fastball, change and cutter. I could throw a curve but rarely did so because of the strain. If I needed to use a breaking ball I would throw a split more often than a curve.

I also think it's improper mechanics and overexertion for many who tear UCL's. I think a player's psyche also plays a big part of it.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Nova will be TJ surgery #14 this year so the over/under for the rest of this year would be around 70. That really would be a trainwreck. Why are pitchers so fragile in today's game? They don't make em like they used to. :D

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

I think it also has to be with the fact that most of the time we only hear about the stars and legends of those days. Ryan, Seaver, Sutton, etc. What about the other guys that didn't make it because there was no Tommy John or other procedures?

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
There are plenty of pitchers that burned out early in their careers. Too many to name and most are names that people will not remember. 200IP+ in the minors and 300IP+ in the majors. Good genetics blessed those who lasted a long time (Nolan Ryan etc) while the same workload chewed up plenty of no-namers.
Most of the damage comes early. With kids playing on multiple travel teams. Throwing too many innings. Using the curve and slider is too stressful at that age. Most teams have innings limits - but I'm guessing some pitchers will get injured no matter what they do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts