Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Up Close on Baseball’s Borders.......Agree? Disagree?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
In the link there are more maps that are close-ups to specific areas.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/23/upshot/24-upshot-baseball.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

baseball-zips2.png

Last edited:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
A's and Mets have it the worst. In Alameda the A's don't even have the majority. There is not one single county for the A's or Mets.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Huge Cubbies presence in AZ & FL too (all the old folks and snow birds).

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Very interesting. Only 26 teams show up on the top-level map, but I guess that's to be expected. I can attest to the Rangers/Astros dominance. At the exhibition game in SA last month, which is about equidistant from eitehr DFW or Houston, t-shirt/cap polling had Rangers ahead 10:1 over the Astros. Drilled down into Oakland, and it doesn't look like the A's break 25% anywhere, even right outside the stadium. And seems like the Yankees or Red Sox have 4-5% at least everywhere. The most surprising thing for me is down in Louisiana it's mostly Yankees with the highest plurality ~25%, but there are several teams that show up in the teens, Braves, Red Sox, Rangers, Cardinals, even the Cubs down on the fringes of the Gulf.

Heh. Plymouth County, MA: 86% Red Sox, 5% Yankees, 1% Tigers. Detroit's doing something right.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Very interesting. Only 26 teams show up on the top-level map, but I guess that's to be expected. I can attest to the Rangers/Astros dominance. At the exhibition game in SA last month, which is about equidistant from eitehr DFW or Houston, t-shirt/cap polling had Rangers ahead 10:1 over the Astros. Drilled down into Oakland, and it doesn't look like the A's break 25% anywhere, even right outside the stadium. And seems like the Yankees or Red Sox have 4-5% at least everywhere. The most surprising thing for me is down in Louisiana it's mostly Yankees with the highest plurality ~25%, but there are several teams that show up in the teens, Braves, Red Sox, Rangers, Cardinals, even the Cubs down on the fringes of the Gulf.

Heh. Plymouth County, MA: 86% Red Sox, 5% Yankees, 1% Tigers. Detroit's doing something right.

Well, to be honest, the people who live right around the stadium are more interested in rap music, fake chains, and big booty hoes than baseball.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Apparently, Oahu is full of Yankees, Red Sox, Giants and Dodgers fans.
I guess that's accurate. Shane Victorino of the Red Sox has a massive fanbase in Hawaii. There are tons of Giants and Dodgers fans here because we get all of the Dodgers (and Angels) televised games. And we get all the Giants games on Radio.
I probably see people wearing Giants caps and shirts more than any other team.
And the Yankees are popular here too. I see a bunch of NY caps.
Seattle also has a big fanbase here. Not so much the Padres and Angels.

Last edited:

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
At least they are on the map. I don't see the white sox
That is because the Cubs have been on WGN and seem to be a larger market team then the Whitesox always has been

Nor the Mets.
Yesterday Sam posted how the game a Shaitie field was not even sold out. Seems the same thing as the Cubs. The Yankees are a larger Market team and have won more world Series so that is why it appears on that map more

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
That is because the Cubs have been on WGN and seem to be a larger market team then the Whitesox always has been

Yesterday Sam posted how the game a Shaitie field was not even sold out. Seems the same thing as the Cubs. The Yankees are a larger Market team and have won more world Series so that is why it appears on that map more

It was pathetic how few people were there considering the population of NYC.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I would like to see a map like this before the Giants and Dodgers moved west.

The Cardinals fan base stretched far west because of radio station KMOX.

Members online

Latest posts