Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The next MLB commisioner should be ______?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
With Adam Silver dropping the Hammer on Sterling to rousing rave reviews from almost the whole League he runs, it got me to wondering, who SHOULD or who WILL replace Bud Seling?

I'm not a Bud fan at all, but his replacement does come into a pretty sweet set-up. While there is no clear cut favorite, it's expecting to be an "inside" Baseball veteran, CEO-type. I don't know enough about Rob Manfred, the #2 guy who's considered the (slight) favorite. Most experts doubt it'll be an outsider/broadcaster-type, like Costas or George Will.

As far as baseball veterans go, I'd say Sandy Alderson would be fine in the job.

And for an outsider-VERY-long-shot picks, how about Keith Olbermann? Both sides would hate him within 6 months, but his devotion to the game and up-front style might be just what the sport needs after years of Bud's "old buddy" style...

Anybody else got an Opinion?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
There is no way the owners want anything but more of the same. No outsiders, no mixing it up. Whatever is deemed the closest to Selig, which looks like Manfred.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
In a perfect world, somebody like Joe Torre or Frank Robinson or Daniel Okrent would get the job. But there is no way the old players or Bob Costases are given a job that is, in the current reality, to be a business agent for the owners. It'll be some guy the owners like and think they can control, who will stand up to the union and negotiate the best deals with the TV, internet and radio people. All the stuff about being a baseball fan or purist and saying steroids are bad or whatever is nice and all, but if there's a guy who doesn't know a baseball from a snowball and can get an extra billion dollars out of the TV networks and keep the players from winning the next work stoppage, he's their guy. The game was out of control in 1919, so they brought in a tough Southern judge who was able to unilaterally do things that neither the owners nor the players approved of universally. But in 1992 the game was so solid that the owners didn't even think they needed a commissioner, so Selig was only "Acting Commissioner" for 6 whole years while still participating in his team ownership role.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
They need to go back to a true commissioner that they had, but since the owner have become billionaires off of the Selig style, there isnt no way they go back to an arbitrator style commissioner.

When you have baseball legends such as Aaron, McCovey, Morgan and many many others singing Selig's praises, no way are the owners gonna change it!

Fordman

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
darren-rovell-7th-grade-photo.jpg

Darren Rovell

Members online