Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Headed to Wrigley Saturday for the first time. Questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Hey guys, I'll be making my first trip to Wrigleyville on Saturday for the Cardinals @ Cubs game.

We're staying in Dwight at a friends and going to be riding the train to and from the game. Our train from Dwight leaves at 8:00am for the noon game, and departs at 7:00pm, so that will give us time to screw around after the game as well.

I'm curious about things to do in Wrigleyville before the game. What are some great places to eat? I looked online earlier and seen there was a Goose Island restaurant. Is it any good? I love their beer, so I'd love to check that place out. Also, who serves the best pizza pie in Wrigleyville? Loves me some deep dish.

Any places to avoid?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Take a TON of pics. I mean like 200 or so. Can't wait to go back there and putz around a bit. I got a pic of the Banks statue. Wish there would've been more time to walk around Wrigley and just take a video, such it's such an iconic mecca.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Take a TON of pics. I mean like 200 or so. Can't wait to go back there and putz around a bit. I got a pic of the Banks statue. Wish there would've been more time to walk around Wrigley and just take a video, such it's such an iconic mecca.

Yeah, I'm excited about going.

It's a historic place with a ton of history. Just imagine all the great baseball players who have graced that field.

And we've decided to ride the Amtrak up there and home, so that should be fun too. My wife has never ridden it.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Hey guys, I'll be making my first trip to Wrigleyville on Saturday for the Cardinals @ Cubs game.

We're staying in Dwight at a friends and going to be riding the train to and from the game. Our train from Dwight leaves at 8:00am for the noon game, and departs at 7:00pm, so that will give us time to screw around after the game as well.

I'm curious about things to do in Wrigleyville before the game. What are some great places to eat? I looked online earlier and seen there was a Goose Island restaurant. Is it any good? I love their beer, so I'd love to check that place out. Also, who serves the best pizza pie in Wrigleyville? Loves me some deep dish.

Any places to avoid?

Goose Island does have pretty solid bar food. It's probably the best you'll find in the immediate area around Wrigley.

Pizza-wise, there is D'Agostinos on Addison and Southport about a 8-10 minute walk from Wrigley for some solid thin crust, and then for deep dish there is a Giordanos on Belmont about a block off Sheffield. It's not my favorite, but it's probably the closest to Wrigley. Gino's East on Diversey and Racine or Pequods down around Lincoln Park on Clybourn are my favorite, but are a bit of a hike from Wrigleyville.

If you like craft beer, there is a great spot about 6-8 blocks south of Wrigley on Sheffield, called creatively, Sheffields. They have a great beer garden and one of the better beer selections in the city. I love their pulled pork sandwich as well.

The bars around Wrigley are more or less the same. Sluggers on Addison is kind of a neat spot to check out because they have batting cages on the top floor.

Let me know if you have any questions about anywhere else.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Your train will get you to downtown at 10am, then you'll have to walk 6 blocks to the Red Line L Train and take that north to Wrigley. The Red Line requires a fare card you can purchase at the station - put enough on it for your return trip when you buy it. Bring a five and singles so you don't have to put more on it than you need.

So you'll get to the park around 11. Not much time before the game to mess around. Just have a beer and a hotdog/brat at Murphy's Bleachers by the bleacher entrance before going into the park.

So game gets over around 3, and you'll want to get back on the L around 5:45 to get back downtown and to the train station. Can't miss the 7:00PM train because that's the last one out to Dwight. You'll have time for pizza or bar food afterwards. Remember, deep dish pizza can take up to 45 minutes to cook from the time you order it, so give yourself time.

Goose Island is good eats and great beer - have a Chicago blonde. D'Agostino's west on Addison or Giordano's south on Belmont are both good for pizza. Leona's south on Sheffield has deep dish or a full Italian menu is always great - a crowd pleaser and Chicago mainstay.

Souvenir shops all around.

Sluggers bar has batting cages upstairs.

Lots to do close to the stadium. You'll have fun.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Your train will get you to downtown at 10am, then you'll have to walk 6 blocks to the Red Line L Train and take that north to Wrigley. The Red Line requires a fare card you can purchase at the station - put enough on it for your return trip when you buy it. Bring a five and singles so you don't have to put more on it than you need.

So you'll get to the park around 11. Not much time before the game to mess around. Just have a beer and a hotdog/brat at Murphy's Bleachers by the bleacher entrance before going into the park.

So game gets over around 3, and you'll want to get back on the L around 5:45 to get back downtown and to the train station. Can't miss the 7:00PM train because that's the last one out to Dwight. You'll have time for pizza or bar food afterwards. Remember, deep dish pizza can take up to 45 minutes to cook from the time you order it, so give yourself time.

Goose Island is good eats and great beer - have a Chicago blonde. D'Agostino's west on Addison or Giordano's south on Belmont are both good for pizza. Leona's south on Sheffield has deep dish or a full Italian menu is always great - a crowd pleaser and Chicago mainstay.

Souvenir shops all around.

Sluggers bar has batting cages upstairs.

Lots to do close to the stadium. You'll have fun.

Awesome reply, thank you.

Thankfully we're going with people who have been several times and know the train drill, so that will help tremendously.

Anything I have to worry about gang wise on my travels to and from? I mean, the majority of my entire wardrobe is black and red, which I know are gang colors. I really don't feel like taking my pregnant wife, who's due in like 8 weeks, somewhere, and getting shot because I'm wearing the wrong thing.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Goose Island does have pretty solid bar food. It's probably the best you'll find in the immediate area around Wrigley.

Pizza-wise, there is D'Agostinos on Addison and Southport about a 8-10 minute walk from Wrigley for some solid thin crust, and then for deep dish there is a Giordanos on Belmont about a block off Sheffield. It's not my favorite, but it's probably the closest to Wrigley. Gino's East on Diversey and Racine or Pequods down around Lincoln Park on Clybourn are my favorite, but are a bit of a hike from Wrigleyville.

If you like craft beer, there is a great spot about 6-8 blocks south of Wrigley on Sheffield, called creatively, Sheffields. They have a great beer garden and one of the better beer selections in the city. I love their pulled pork sandwich as well.

The bars around Wrigley are more or less the same. Sluggers on Addison is kind of a neat spot to check out because they have batting cages on the top floor.

Let me know if you have any questions about anywhere else.

I looked into Sheffield. Looks like a great place.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
Anything I have to worry about gang wise on my travels to and from? I mean, the majority of my entire wardrobe is black and red, which I know are gang colors. I really don't feel like taking my pregnant wife, who's due in like 8 weeks, somewhere, and getting shot because I'm wearing the wrong thing.

I've lived 4 blocks from Wrigley for 18 months and have never had an issue. The only issues I've ever heard about are from drunk people at the bars, but that's common to everywhere.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

No, you're fine headed north. My 60 year-old mother did the train/L last week. The walk to the L is through downtown/tall businesses/shopping. The L drops you off along the outfield wall of the park,. If you're the cautious type, put your wallet in your front pocket on the L.

Now if you were going to Comisky...

Blackhawks playoffs going on. Lots of people will be wearing Red and Black!

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
No, you're fine headed north. My 60 year-old mother did the train/L last week. The walk to the L is through downtown/tall businesses/shopping. The L drops you off along the outfield wall of the park,. If you're the cautious type, put your wallet in your front pocket on the L.

Now if you were going to Comisky...

Blackhawks playoffs going on. Lots of people will be wearing Red and Black!

I'm not really the cautious type, just like to be aware.

And I've been to US Cellular. And I wasn't too fond of the area. The ballpark was fine. But coming and going, it wasn't pleasant at all. It was 2005 when I went there, and it was pure ghetto. Someone I work with said they've tried cleaning up the area.

And very true about the Blackhawks. I didn't think about that.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I've lived 4 blocks from Wrigley for 18 months and have never had an issue. The only issues I've ever heard about are from drunk people at the bars, but that's common to everywhere.

Yeah, exactly why we didn't get bleacher seats. I'm not going to take my far along preggo wife all the way to Chicago to sit in the bleachers with a bunch of drunken buffoons.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom

I'm planning on taking our good camera to take some pictures. I'm not going to waste my battery on my iPhone to take pictures.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Going to go there and see a concert for the first time in my life. I got tickets to Blake Shelton for my daughter Melissa for her college graduation.

Sam your going to have a blast but none of this while you're there. And there will be fights during the game too, In the stands I mean. Every time I go to the Cubs cards games someone acts like an ass-clown, from either team and it ends up getting ugly quick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZfEAc0iPPA

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Yeah, exactly why we didn't get bleacher seats. I'm not going to take my far along preggo wife all the way to Chicago to sit in the bleachers with a bunch of drunken buffoons.

The bleachers have a reputation but trust me, I was head of security out there for a few years..it isnt that bad. I would take my wife and kids out there with no second thoughts (and I have done so). Sure, you might hear a bad word but it is a great place to see a game.

Have fun...The crowd will be half Cubs fans and half Cardinals fans. You will be surprised just how much red you see around the ball park and around the city. We used to hate having the Cardinals come to town on a Saturday because it was usually a wild weekend.

There are not anywhere near as many fights as you hear there are. Seriously....you will have a fun time and not have to worry about your safety.

Last edited:

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Having been gone from the area for about 8 years, I'm jealous. And I'll give a hearty thumbs-up to all of gracecollector's recommendations. If you do end up at Sheffield's post-game, know that there is a red line stop just a couple blocks south at Belmont so you don't have to backtrack up to the stop at Wrigley.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
I'm not really the cautious type, just like to be aware.

And I've been to US Cellular. And I wasn't too fond of the area. The ballpark was fine. But coming and going, it wasn't pleasant at all. It was 2005 when I went there, and it was pure ghetto. Someone I work with said they've tried cleaning up the area.

And very true about the Blackhawks. I didn't think about that.

US Cellular is not Ghetto. Best ballpark food anywhere. Why was your comming and going bad? The ballpark and surrounding area is fine.

If you enjoy yuppies, daytime underage drunkards, suburban tourists and *edit* Wrigleyville is where its at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
US Cellular is not Ghetto. Best ballpark food anywhere. Why was your comming and going bad? The ballpark and surrounding area is fine.

If you enjoy yuppies, daytime underage drunkards, suburban tourists and *edit* Wrigleyville is where its at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

The ballpark was great.

It was just driving through the middle of the ghetto to get there that was unpleasant.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts