Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

That fish is among the league leaders in Ks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Don't know who all has noticed this, but Mike Trout is 6th in MLB with 39 strikeouts in only 30 games this season. I know he has played like a first ballot HOFer for two years, but this is certainly potentially worrisome. I watched him against the rangers this past series and it appears he simply cannot consistently hit fastballs, especially up in the zone. This included getting gassed by Colby Lewis several times. Colby tops out at ~89 mph. Could be an aberration but if I was invested in him (I couldn't afford it) I would sell now.

Anyone else have thoughts on either cards or just Trout in general?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I noticed that too, but people don't care all that much about Ks when he is still hitting homeruns, stealing bases and making plays on the field. I think you are going way overboard acting like the ship is sinking. lol

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Seems a bit high for a guy if retired today would be a HOFer ;)
I honestly thought he'd have less and people would expect that number to be low. Pujols or mcgwire like k #s

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I noticed that too, but people don't care all that much about Ks when he is still hitting homeruns, stealing bases and making plays on the field. I think you are going way overboard acting like the ship is sinking. lol

I'm not saying he is going to become Mendoza. Just saying increased Ks indicate pitchers finding wholes. Add to that the fact that his cards are already astronomically high value and that he will only sign more and more cards over the next ten years diluting value, and I say now is the best time to sell. Not in any way saying you'll go broke if you hold them.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Which is why I don't value war all that much, how can it not take into account strikeouts? Its not the strikeouts that scare me the most its the Walks Vs Strikeouts. Again not sure how he leads in war as I have watched many angels games and Albert pujols has (To this point) won them more games than trout with his bat and glove. Either way yes his strikeouts are a concern but there is still a lot of season for him to cut it down.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There was an article about it yesterday in the LA Times:

Angels' Mike Trout isn't worried about strikeouts

Mike DiGiovanna, L.A. Times
May 4, 2014, 6:27 p.m.

Mike Trout has whiffed at an alarming rate, 39 times in 30 games through the Angels’ 14-3 loss to the Texas Rangers on Sunday in Angel Stadium.

Only Chicago’s Marcus Semien (41) and Seattle’s Abraham Almonte (40) have more strikeouts in the American League. At his current 28.3% strikeout pace, Trout would whiff 210 times. He had 136 strikeouts in 2013 and 139 in 2012.

But Trout, 22, is still batting .300 with six home runs and 19 runs batted in, and he ranks among the league’s top 10 in runs (22), hits (36), on-base percentage (.384), slugging (.550), total bases (66), extra-base hits (16) and pitches per plate appearance (4.57).

Trout is losing some battles but winning the WAR. He began Sunday with an AL-leading 2.5 wins above replacement (WAR), the sabermetric figure that measures a player’s total contribution including offense, base-running and defense.

“I think you worry about strikeouts when they aren’t balanced by walks or production, and I think he’s doing OK in those departments,” Manager Mike Scioscia said. “For guys who work counts, strikeouts might follow.”

Trout, who finished second in AL most-valuable-player voting in 2012 and 2013, has two three-strikeout games and had the first four-strikeout game of his career in Detroit on April 19.

“It’s not a concern for me,” Trout said. “My last couple of years, I’ve had over 100 strikeouts. Sometimes I’m chasing pitches, trying to do too much, like I did in the first month last year, when I was too anxious. I have to look for my pitch and hit it. Pitchers are throwing good pitches too. You have to give them credit.”

Trout, who rarely swings at the first pitch, said in spring training he would try to be more aggressive early in the count, but he has been just as patient as he was in 2012 and 2013.
Trout has put the first pitch in play only five times in 117 at-bats. He put the first pitch in play 35 times in 589 at-bats last season and 31 times in 559 at-bats in 2012.

The fact that Trout has been caught looking 14 times and often takes first-pitch strikes suggests he is too passive. If he’s going to strike out, the Angels prefer he go down swinging.

“Mike works counts, and when you work counts, you’re going to add some walks, you’re going to add some strikeouts,” Scioscia said. “He’s taken a called third strike at times. It happened last year, and it’s happened this year. It’s still a small sample size. His last 25 at-bats or so, he’s trying to find a comfort zone. I don’t think it’s anything you’re going to put a lot of weight on right now.”

Trout pushed his average to .327 with 11 multi-hit efforts in 16 games from April 11 through last Monday but has only two hits in 16 at-bats in the last four games.

He is one of few players in baseball who has hit Yu Darvish well, with a .321 career average (nine for 28) and four homers against the Rangers ace before Sunday. The only other player with four home runs against Darvish is Oakland’s Brandon Moss.
But Darvish got the best of Trout on Sunday, retiring Trout on a routine fly ball to right field in the first inning, striking him out with a nasty slider in the second and getting him to ground out to third in the fifth.

“I don’t go up there trying to do too much, but when I swing through pitches, sometimes I’m swinging too hard, pulling off pitches,” Trout said. “Once I get into a rhythm and find my swing, it’ll come, for sure.”

Last edited:

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Probably because I spent $4k on one of his cards.

He'll get popped for roids in a few months

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts