Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yankees will retire Joe Torre's #6 Plaques for Goose O'neill Tino

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Joe Torre's uniform No. 6 will become the 17th number to be retired by the Yankees in a ceremony to be held on Aug. 23 at Yankee Stadium.

Torre, who is to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in July, will be the third manager to see his number retired. Casey Stengel, who led the Yankees to seven World Series titles, was the first, and Billy Martin was the second. Torre's teams won four World Series championships and six American League pennants during his 12 seasons as manager from 1996-2007.

Plaques honoring former players Goose Gossage, Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez will be placed in Monument Park on three separate dates this summer, the Yanks announced on Thursday.

Martinez and Gossage will be celebrated during Old-Timers' Day weekend on June 21 and 22, respectively. A ceremony for O'Neill will take place on Aug. 9.

The ceremonies will be part of a series of recognitions that will include Bernie Williams next year, the club said.

Currently Major League Baseball's executive vice president of baseball operations, Torre compiled a 1,173-767 (.605) regular-season record and a 76-47 (.618) postseason mark during his Yankees tenure, leading the club to the playoffs in each year that he managed the team. While with the organization, he went 21-11 in the World Series, 27-14 in the AL Championship Series and 28-22 in the AL Division Series. Torre's regular-season wins total is second in club history to only Joe McCarthy, who went 1,460-867 (.627) over 16 seasons from 1931-46.

O'Neill, the fiery right fielder called a "warrior" by late owner George Steinbrenner, played for all four of Torre's World Series winners. He played for the Yanks for nine seasons beginning in 1993, retiring after the 2001 World Series.

Martinez, the Yankees' first baseman acquired prior to the 1996 season to replace the retired Don Mattingly, also played for all four Series winners and appeared in five Fall Classics overall. He hit the memorable two-out, two-run home run against Arizona that tied Game 4 of the 2001 World Series, a game won in the 10th inning on Derek Jeter's "Mr. November" homer.

Gossage, a dominant closer in the 1970s and '80s, pitched for the Yanks from 1978-83, winning the World Series in '78 and the AL pennant in '81. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2008.

The Yankees have honored 17 players and managers by retiring their uniform numbers. They are Martin (No. 1), Babe Ruth (3), Lou Gehrig (4), Joe DiMaggio (5), Mickey Mantle (7), Yogi Berra (8), Bill Dickey (8), Roger Maris (9), Phil Rizzuto (10), Thurman Munson (15), Whitey Ford (16), Mattingly (23), Elston Howard (32), Stengel (37), Mariano Rivera (42), Reggie Jackson (44) and Ron Guidry (49). The Yankees retired Rivera's No. 42 in 2013 and he was the last Major League player to wear the number full-time, following its league-wide retirement in honor of Jackie Robinson.

The retirement of Torre's No. 6 will leave the Yanks with one remaining unretired single-digit number -- No. 2, the number worn by Jeter.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
They're running out of numbers!

This reminds me of Turanga Leela wearing 7/8 as her number for the New New York Mets in "Futurama".

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Amazing to think that after this year, no one will ever wear a one digit Yankee Jersey in a regular game.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
#21 (O'neills #) Has only been worn a few games since 2001 when it was booed off of Latroy Hawkins (also worn in spring training by Morgan Ensberb)
#51 Has not been worn since Bernie Williams last game.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Amazing to think that after this year, no one will ever wear a one digit Yankee Jersey in a regular game.

I'm not amazed, considering how the Yankees of old did things wtih uniform numbering.

I'd be amazed if the Yankees complete single digit retirement thing was all done using today's baseball practices because most of your superstars (most likely to be uniform worthy retirement players) wear double digits.

With regards to this thread as a whole, I'm more bugged about the monument plaque annoucements other than Torre. You go from monument park of legend to diluting it to the monument park of good. I suppose if the yanks have a boatload of real estate to add plaques of recent good players to monument park, why not.

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
They're running out of numbers!

This reminds me of Turanga Leela wearing 7/8 as her number for the New New York Mets in "Futurama".

this was my exact thought. You beat me to it.

images

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
#21 (O'neills #) Has only been worn a few games since 2001 when it was booed off of Latroy Hawkins (also worn in spring training by Morgan Ensberb)
#51 Has not been worn since Bernie Williams last game.

I hope they retire Bernie's number, he's deserves it.
I remember when they gave paulie's number to latroy, didn't last long lol.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Glad to see these guys getting honored. Can't believe its been nearly 15 years since the Subway Series. Man, I feel old!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts