Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kyle Blanks to the outfield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Not exactly ,but it sounds like they are thinking about it. That or trade him according to rotoworld.com. Interesting read.

mlb.com

I asked this question of general manager Kevin Towers after watching Blanks get to more hits on Tuesday to raise his average to .341 this spring.

Obviously, Adrian Gonzalez isn't going anywhere. He's a Gold Glove winner, All-Star and might be one of the most underrated players in the game.

So ... what about seeing if the 6-foot-6, 285 pounds Blanks can make a go of it in the outfield?

There may be a move afoot for Blanks to get some time in the outfield, though it will not likely happen anytime soon, said Towers, who spoke with Grady Fuson, vice president of scouting and player development about that issue earlier Tuesday.

Towers he doesn't want to mess with Blanks confidence right now by asking him to start taking fly balls in Arizona. If the Padres do opt to see how Blanks looks in the outfield then it would likely be once the Triple-A season begins in Portland.

And, as Towers cautioned, it would start by "taking fly balls before games" before it ever got to the point where Blanks would appear in a game in the outfield.

For now, Blanks, who leads the team in at-bats (44), runs (11), total bases (15), doubles (four), home runs (three) and is tied for first in RBI (nine), will stick to playing first base, though it might not be at the frequency he had been.

Rotoworld.com

Padres GM Kevin Towers confirmed that Kyle Blanks is not an option in the outfield this spring.
Blanks is simply too big to handle the move, and Towers doesn't want to mess with his confidence right now. On the off chance that Towers changes his mind, the experimenting won't begin until after spring training. Blanks has been the Padres' best hitter this spring and other teams are surely taking interest.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
He's more athletic than people think, and I do believe he can eventually handle LF. With the Padres' farm system as sparse as it is in talent, I don't see them trading him anytime soon.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
AKA Coastal said:
darocker80 said:
ru4scuba said:
rebelpawn said:
Two words, trade bait.

I've been saying this the whole time. He's destined to be a DH in the AL.
+1 Like Chris Carter of the A's

He will be in the top 3 in HR's in the minors this year.
I agree, IF Villalona stays in A+ (I do think he'll end the season in AA ball) the entire season or a majority of the season he'll be in the top 3 for home runs.

Villalona, Carter, Blanks, Stanton are people to watch out for (but not sure if stanton can repeat)

Members online

Latest posts